Can Ansys 2019R2 do the thermal topology optimization but not the structural optimization?

Can Ansys 2019R2 do the thermal topology optimization but not the structural optimization? And where can I find that? Is there any instructions?
Thank you so much.

kind regards

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited November 2019

ANSYS 2019 R2 can do both Thermal Topology Optimization and Structural Topology Optimization.

You can read about it in the ANSYS Help System.

There are many YouTube videos on Topology Optimization.

• CambridgeCambridge Member
    edited November 2019

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your information, Which software do you think is better for TO, ansys, comsol or altair?

kind regards

Cambridge

edited November 2019

This is an ANSYS sponsored site, so we only talk about that here. I haven't looked at TO from any other vendor.

edited November 2019

Hi Peter,

OK, thank you so much. Do you know if ansys has MMA solver for TO?

kind regards

Cambridge

edited November 2019

I don't know the name of the solve in ANSYS TO.  You could search the ANSYS Help system for details on the TO solver.

edited November 2019

Hi Peter,

There is no more explanation about the specific solver. How can contact with technician of ansys to ask?

Thank you.

edited November 2019

Did you find this section of the ANSYS Help that mentions MMA?

Topology Optimization Solution Methodology

This section describes the available solution methodology for Topology Optimization analyses. 

Sequential Convex Programming

The Sequential Convex Programming method (SCP), see Zillober [3, 5, 6], is an extension of the method for moving asymptotes (MMA), see Svanberg [2]. The Sequential Convex Programming method requires the derivatives of all functions present in the topology optimization problem. MMA is a nonlinear programming algorithm that approximates a solution for a topology optimization problem by solving a sequence of convex and separable subproblems. These subproblems can be solved efficiently due to their special structure. 

The Sequential Convex Programming method extends MMA to ensure convergence by rejecting steps that do not lead to an optimal solution of the underlying problem. The test for acceptance is done by a merit function and a corresponding line search procedure, see Zillober [4]. The goal of the merit function is to measure the progress and enable the objective function and the constraints to be combined in a suitable way. 

edited November 2019

OK, thank you so much for your help. This mostly seems to recommend SCP method.

kind regards

• MaulikMaulik Member
    edited January 19

Hello, i am performing topological optmization for 2d truss structure and am able to perform static structural analysis perfectly. But, for topological optimization, i am not able to use line body for optimization even though i have given a circular cross section area for the body. can you suggest any possible reason for the same?

edited January 19

Answered here.

Please don't post the same question in three different discussions.