Time-dependent element birth in additive manufacturing of WAAM process during layer generation

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing a process simulation for Wire and Arc Additive Manufacturing - at the moment still of a single layer. Therefore, I am coupling a transient thermal analysis with a transient structural analyis. Regarding the thermal simulation, I am using a moving Goldak heat source (a modified version of the downloadable Add-On Moving heat source, which uses a Gaussian heatsource by default). 

Since I want to model the material deposition as well, I want to make use of element birth techniques, which I want to implement via APDL commands.

The heat source gets applied within a single loadstep over the time period of 100s and consists of 100 substeps.

At first, I tried to implement a temperature-dependent element birth, which didn't work since I would need the temperature at every substep as a condition to decide whether the element gets activated or not. Thus after one substep is solved, the command has to be reentered again.(at least to my mind) Therefore, I want to implement a time-dependent element birth.

The problem I now encounter in my code is that I don't know whether parameters containing the element number get stored in the way I thought.

I hope you can understand my problem by looking at both the pictures as well as the attached APDL command file I wrote .

Regards, 

Philipp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Element Numbers of first row of Weld body

General Model Overview (Baseplate and Weld)

Comments

• edited January 11

My APDL Command:

! ACTIVATE ONE ROW OF ELEMENTS AFTER TWO SUBSTEPS

*DIM,COUNT,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,LOOP,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,EPTS,ARRAY,1,1,1 

*DIM,E1,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,E2,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,E3,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,E4,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,E5,ARRAY,1,1,1

*DIM,E6,ARRAY,1,1,1

! DEFINE INITIAL LOOP PARAMETERS

*SET,COUNT,1

*SET,EPTS,2          ! ELEMENT ROWS (OF WELD) SELECTED PER SUBSTEP

! DEFINE ELEMENT NUMBERS OF FIRST ROW

*SET,E1,301 

*SET,E2,351

*SET,E3,401

*SET,E4,500

*SET,E5,550

*SET,E6,600

*GET,STEPTIME,ACTIVE,0,SOLU,DTIME              ! GET LOAD STEP SIZE (100s)

*GET,STEPNUM,ACTIVE,0,SOLU,NCMSS             ! GET NUMBER OF SUBSTEPS(100x)

*VOPER,INCR1,STEPTIME,DIV,STEPNUM            ! DEFINE START VALUE OF LOOP

*VOPER,INCR2,INC1,MULT,EPTS                          ! DEFINE INCREMENT OF LOOP

! SELECT BODY (IN THIS CASE WELD)

CMSEL,S,ELEM_TO_BIRTH_BODY,ELEM            ! COMPONENT NAME

EKILL,ALL                                                                ! DEACTIVATE ALL ELEMENTS

! RESELECT INITIAL PREDEFINED ELEMENTS

ESEL,R,ELEM,E1      !ELEMNUM: 301

ESEL,R,ELEM,E2      !ELEMNUM: 351

ESEL,R,ELEM,E3      !ELEMNUM: 401

ESEL,R,ELEM,E4      !ELEMNUM: 500

ESEL,R,ELEM,E5      !ELEMNUM: 550

ESEL,R,ELEM,E6      !ELEMNUM: 600

EALIVE,ALL

*IF,COUNT,LT,100                                   ! IF COUNT FOR SUBSTEPNUMBER IS LOWER THAN 100

*DO,LOOP,INCR1,STEPTIME,INCR2    ! DO LOOP FROM FIRST SUBSTEP UNTIL END OF LOADSTEP

! WITH AND ACTIVATE NEW ELEMENT ROW EVERY TWO SUBSTEPS

! BECAUSE LOAD STEP TIME IS 100s and ELEMENT NUMBER IN

! DIRECTION OF MOVING HEAT SOURCE IS 50

*GET,ELEMLOCINC1,ELEM,E1,NXTH  ! FIND NEXT ADJACENT ELEMENT NUMBER, ELEMNENT NUMBER

! GOES UP WITH DIRECTION OF MOVING HEAT SOURCE

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E1,ELEMLOCINC1                        ! STORE NEW ELEMENT NUMBER

*GET,ELEMLOCINC2,ELEM,E2,NXTH

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E2,ELEMLOCINC2

*GET,ELEMLOCINC3,ELEM,E3,NXTH

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E3,ELEMLOCINC3

*GET,ELEMLOCINC4,ELEM,E4,NXTL  ! FIND NEXT ADJACENT ELEMENT NUMBER, ELEMNENT NUMBER

! GOES DOWN WITH DIRECTION OF MOVING HEAT SOURCE

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E4,ELEMLOCINC4                       ! STORE NEW ELEMENT NUMBER

*GET,ELEMLOCINC5,ELEM,E5,NXTL

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E5,ELEMLOCINC5

*GET,ELEMLOCIN6,ELEM,E6,NXTL

ESEL

EALIVE,ALL

*SET,E6,ELEMLOCINC6

*VOPER,COUNT,COUNT,ADD,INCR1   ! INCREASE COUNT

*ENDDO

*ELSEIF,COUNT,GT,100    ! IF COUNT OF SUBSTEPNUMBER IS GREATER THAN 100

FINI

/CONFIG,NOELDB,0

/SOLU

*ENDIF

• Hello Phillip,

I hope you found a solution for your problem.

I am currently starting to simulate a WAAM process, and learning the program. Could you recommend me some good sources I can go through to understand how to simulate WAMM on Ansys?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings,

Daniel