Is it okay to cite reference of a discussion on this forum in scientific publications?

Is it okay to cite reference of a discussion on this forum in scientific publications?

If so, can some body give some tips regarding how to organize a typical response's details in a bibliography?

Thanks.

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited January 21

Citing the internet can be done, I was advised (albeit over 20 years ago) to add the document/text title, link, and date accessed as a reference. This covers you for when/if the link is removed. However, you may be better off taking whatever was said and finding why/where that person got the information from. "Because ANSYS staff member said so" is generally acceptable in industrial applications but may present problems when defending a thesis. 

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited January 21

The member who started a discussion or made any post is free to delete that discussion or post at any time.

For example, there was a useful discussion that I linked to in my post, and now it is gone.

Edit: rwoolhou, just to prove the point! We can also delete/edit posts if we need to. Not that I'd usually edit Peter's posts..... 

• soumitra2102soumitra2102 Member
    edited January 25