Radioactivity in Ansys

Is it possible in Ansys Fleunt to modulate the dispersion of the radioactive aerosol?, if so, what is the procedure to follow?

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

Yes. It's a pollutant as per your other thread.

• Thank you Rob, but how to declare the unity of the radioactive pollutant in Fluent?

Species volume fraction, same as any species model.

• Here I only have the mass flow of the pollutant, so how can I find units of radioactivity in the results?

I assume you know the relationship between the species & radioactivity? In that case use a Custom Field Function and plot that.

• The only data I know about it is 5.1 kg/m3 as a mass flow rate. Unfortunately no data on radioactive particles is available .

Then you will need to find that data: the solver will tell you where the species/particles/flow are going but requires additional information if you want another metric from that data.

• May I iterate on this ?

How can I let the radioactive substance decay during its transport ? For example, a radioactive specis enters a fluid region with a certain activity (decays /s/m^2), which can be converted into a mass flow (kg / s/ m^2) . While advancing through the fluid region, particles of the radioactive species decay anc convert in another element. can this be represented as a rection A-> B without any other reactants, and a reaction rate (decay rate ) lambda ?

You may.

For a particle you can access the flight time and use that. Depending on what the particle does to the carrier you may just need to show it's age to show an effect.

For a fluid you'd need to track the fluid age alongside the material and then transfer mass from one species to the next. Source terms do the latter, scalars can be used for the former. Have a look for "mean age of air" for an example of tracking the age of a material.