thermo-structural disc brake analysis

i am simulating disc brake for thermal distribution in transient thermal and importing temperature values into transient structural. To get the coupled stress due to temperature and mechanical loads, simulating it in transient structural. During transient structural should i make the inner surface of hub connected to disc as fixed support or make it allow to rotate about its axis using remote displacement?

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited February 2

Is the geometry of the disc axisymmetric? If so, the temperature on the disc is symmetric around the axis of rotation also.

While you have a transient thermal that tracks the heating up of the disc over time, is it sufficient to look at the final temperature and just bring that into a static structural analysis?

If the geometry of the disc is not symmetric, then you might need to perform the structural analysis at several angles of rotation, since the brake pads will apply tangential forces and there may be higher stress at certain angles, but again, I would approach that as a series of static structural solutions.

• samvimalsamvimal Member
    edited February 3

Hi peter,

Thanks for the reply.

sorry for not making it clear to you, the disc is axi-symmetric and i took only 1/6th of the whole model for simulation.

my question is whether i should give fixed support or remote displacement at the inner surface of the hub that to be pressed to axle?

edited February 3

Isn't the axle going to take some heat away from the disc? I would add the axle to the model and do bonded contact of the disc to the axle. The axle can have a fixed support some distance from the hub of the disc.

If you used fixed support on the ID of the hub, that would unnaturally prevent the ID of the hub from expanding when the temperature increases and create artificial stress in the model.

• samvimalsamvimal Member
    edited February 4

Then i would use remote displacement for the simulation. In which ill allow rotation about its axis to be free and arrest all other D.O.F

edited February 5

It would be better to add the axle part.