Propeller Modelling Compressibility. Activate Energy Equation?

Hi,

I am modelling the design of a fairly small propeller (Diameter of 1.1m) and performing some basic performance analysis in Fluent. I am analysing two rotational speeds giving maximum tip speeds of M~0.5 and M~0.8 - so nothing too close to supersonic ranges and only just verging into the transonic region. I believe that a pressure-based solver will be suitable as nowadays it can handle some compressibility effects reasonably well. What I don't know is whether to activate the energy equation or not.

The point of my study is not to provide supremely accurate results especially due to coronavirus, I have no access to high-performance computers and so need to complete it on my laptop. From the Fluent User/Theory Guides, I can't work out whether it would be necessary to activate the energy equation for my setup as I don't have time to perform my own tests to compare the two. Is it likely to make a non-negligible difference?

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• rahkumarrahkumar Member
    edited April 6

Hello, 

Depending on the boundary conditions and also the end goal of your simulation, you will need to activate the energy equation.

In pressure-based solver, the pressure fields are mainly calculated from the continuity and momentum equations and hence energy equation can be turned off. But if your analysis includes studying temperature variations, then you will have to turn the energy equation on. 

Regards,

Rahul