Meshing with Shell181

Hello,

I'm trying to mesh a simple10mm x 10mm surface with Shell181 elements.

I've inserted a method in mechanical choosing a linear function, after meshing however all I get is Quad4 elements, how can I change that to Shell181? Or is something wrong with my Geometry here? I've also tried meshing with a 10x10x1 mm body and got Quad4 again.

I'd appreciate some help, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Helen 

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited April 7

Hello Helen,

Quad4 is the element shape.  Many element types can be assigned to that element shape. For a structural model, the solver will automatically assign a SHELL181 to that shape.  After you Solve the model, under the Solution Information folder, look at the Solver Output. In that text, you will find how many SHELL181 elements are in the model. You can use Ctrl-F to find words in the output.

Regards,

Peter

• HelenSEHelenSE Member
    edited April 7

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your answer, it is really using Shell181 as you said.  

I was trying to use Ansys ACP Pre to create a composite with this geometry and mesh. I always get an error when opening the ACP setup saying: 'StandardShellView' has no attribute 'shell'. That's why I thought my mesh might not be using shells.   

Do you know what this error means or where I can find 'StandardShellView' and its attributes? 

Thanks again,

Helen

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited April 7

Hello Helen,

I have yet to use ACP Pre to build a composite model. I expect there are some videos on YouTube. Here is one.  If you are lucky, another member may be able to answer your question.

Good Luck!

Peter