How to transfer calculated wall temperature distrubution ?

Hello together,

i have a symmetric body, but the loads are not symmetric. See below is a quick dirty sketch. The Body consists of 3 elements. Each of them has a heat source on the middle right side (red layer). To reduce computational time i just want to simulate the middle body, body 2 which has one heat source and two outer walls, green and blue. To get correct results, i have to copy the calculated temperature distrubution after the first iteration of the right wall (green) to the blue wall.  The Wall temperature has to update every iteration.

I tried to export and import profile file of the wall temperature, but i couldn´t find a way to export the profile every iteration, to do this manually over 1000 iterations would solve my problem, but is a lot of work. Maby the is a way to use symmetry, but i read in the manual it is only possible for symmetric loads, which isn´t in my case.

Has anyone an idea to solve the problem.

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited April 9

If the models are separate you could use a script to write out the profile every few time steps and in the second model read the profile, alter the position set the temperature. Not easy but could be done. 

• Michael104Michael104 Member
    edited April 9

Thanks for your answere.

There is just one model, in this model i have to transfer the boundary temperature profile. Could you give a some more information how to write such a script and where to implement.

edited April 9

" alt="" width="373" height="310">

A sketch of the Model with reduced computational time. Just have to transfer the boundary profile from green to red wall  every iteration in the model. I don´t have to transfer the profile to other models. 

edited April 20

Nobody any ideas ?

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator
    edited April 20

if it is the same model you should be able to write an array with the data and use that array to assign the data to the boundary. Another way could be via writing/reading files (prone to sync issues and not really ideal I/o...)

edited April 22

Thanks for your answer abenhadj,

OK, if i write an array with temperature data, how would you imprint these data on the boundary wall, just with the use of define profile? or is there an other way?

Michael

edited April 22

Yes with a DEFINE Profile. You require then a sort of interpolation to get the right values corresponding to x,y,z.

edited April 28

Thanks Amine,

so now i wrote a udf (I/o function) to export a file with the temperature profile of the wall i was looking for. Could you or someone give me some advice how to implement these columns of the data file to the define boundary condition in the udf.

I have columns for x, y, z, coordinates and a column for temperature of the wall. It is the same format like if i would export a profile via "file -> export -> profile" in fuent.  Is there a way to directly implement this data file as a boundary profile in the udf, something like

"define_profile (take exported file)"??

Best regards Michael

edited April 28

The profile format required by Fluent is explained in the user's guide. If the walls are parallel to each other I guess you can just swap one coordinate direction (if feasible). Example Old Wall X, Y, Z New Wall X, Y, Z+delta_Z. You can modify the profile and apply directly.

edited April 29

Thanks Amine,

but is there a way to directly apply the profile file to the boundary with a udf. I don´t mean (File -> import -> profile from the fluent headline). Please correct me if i am wrong. In the user guide there are a lot of examples how to define a profile with a function depend on one coordinate, but how to implement this profile file directly to the boundary? I think this would be the only way to update the profile every iteration.

Best regards Michael

edited April 30
    yes possible you need to read the file via and apply the profile. All can be done in UDF. An execute on Loading to read the profile and do some pre processing of the data, a function to define the interpolation law and the define profile to set the profile