Please recommend the configuration of the computer workstation

Comments

• Asmail76Asmail76 Posts: 5Member
    edited August 2019

Hello sir ,

First of all i would like to thank you for your helpful knowledge that you added to this site . And kindly, I would like to consult you? I am PHD student

and i have just started studying Ansys from scratch and i would like to do some simulations in the field of wind turbines.After long searching i  pre

ordered DEll Precision 5530 Mobile workstation Laptop from nearest store from where i live  with:

intel core I7-8850H (6 core 2.6 GHz, 4.3 GHz turbo, 9MB 45w)/ 

Windows 10 pro 64 bit /  

Graphic Card : Nvidia Quadro P2000 w/4GB GDDR5

RAM: 1* 16 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 Non-ECC

Hard Drive : M.2 512 GB NVMe PCle class 40 SSD

But, yesterday the store's seller  asked me to change the processor with above specifications to the new one M5540 with Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9750H, 6 Core, 12M Cache, 2.60GHz up to 4.5GHz Turbo, 45W) and the Graphic Card Nvidia Quadro T1000 w/4GB GDDR5  / with the same price and other specifications(Ram and storage) stayed the same.

Because the M5530 doesnot exist in the store now.  And i am wondering if the second offer good for Ansys software  simulation ?

and which is better performance Nvidia quadro P2000 or T1000 ? 

And for total specifications what is your Opinion?

Please help?

Thanks

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 13,251Member
    edited August 2019

You are in luck!  The next release of ANSYS 2019 R3 includes the Quadro T1000 on the list of Tested Graphics Cards.

The two cards are almost identical in performance, but the T1000 consumes less power so your battery life will be better.

Good specifications but if you can afford to increase the RAM that might be useful for larger models, assuming you are not limited to the Student license, in which case 16 GB would be fine. The good thing about RAM is it is very easy to upgrade later.

Another upgrade if you can afford it is to add a second SSD because you will eventually fill up the first one, but again, you can purchase that later as this laptop has space for a second SSD.

• Asmail76Asmail76 Posts: 5Member
    edited August 2019
  • janhagemeisterjanhagemeister Posts: 1Member
    edited October 2019

Hello Mr. Peteroznewman,

Thank you for moderating this thread. I am currently putting together a simulation computer and it has helped me with several decisions. I would like to use a NVDIA Quattro P6000 GPU but in the "Graphics Cards Tested" document it has only been tested for Linux. In a previous post you mentioned that there is a good chance if its tested with Linux it will work with Windows 10. Do you know if this specific GPU (P6000) will work with Windows 10? I will be using this computer for ANSYS Fluent. Is there anything else I need to consider based on the P6000 GPU? In earlier posts I read about the impact of a GPU on space and power consumption.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Redne13Redne13 Posts: 6Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi sir.

I can not understand you clearly
    Which of the following two options saves me more time. (For mechanical solver) (all other equipment is the same)
    1. 2*xeon E5 2696v2 (2.3ghz-turbo 3.6ghz each cpu has 18 core total 36 core)
    2. ?9 9900K (3.6ghz-turbo 5ghz with 8 core)
  • RobRob UKPosts: 12,322Forum Coordinator
    edited January 2020

We do benchmark, but unless you have parallel licence keys it's moot. The Student licence stops at 4 cores (and zero gpu). 

edited January 2020
    Thank you for the answer sir.
    I have the licence which provide to use all the core.
    edited January 2020

Then it'll depend on the size of the problem and physics involved.  36 cores at one speed against 8 cores at a higher speed.  Can you check you're looking at real cores, as opposed to hyperthreading: not sure about Mech but CFD doesn't benefit from them. 

edited January 2020
    Thank you Mr rwoolhou
    For same analysis
    Which one is faster
    3.6 clock with 8 real core
    Or
    2.3 Ghz with 36 real core
    edited January 2020

Redne13, 

My testing on a variety of models using ANSYS 16 Mechanical Solver showed there was not much reduction in solution time using more than 8 cores, therefore I would choose the 3.6 GHz clock with 8 cores over the 2.3 GHz clock with 36 cores because ALL threads on the 3.6 GHz clock will finish in 64% of the time it took the 2.3 GHz clock to complete.

edited January 2020
    Thank you so much Mr peteroznewman

Then I will choose the 3.6 Ghz with 8 core.
  • ehsanzehsanz Posts: 11Member
    edited April 2020

ANSYS PERFORMANCE SCALES WITH CORES

If you solve a structural model on 2 cores and it takes 19 hours, it might take only 9 hours on 4 cores, 5 hours on 8 cores and 3 hours on 16 cores. Do you see the diminishing returns of adding more cores? Doubling the number of cores doesn't halve the time.

Those numbers are one illustration and different models will have tremendous variation away from the ideal of halving the time when doubling the cores. The solver even estimates how well the model is balanced and warns you if it is not well balanced. FLUENT models respond closer to the ideal of halving the solve time when the number of cores is doubled.

Here is a link for how to setup Mechanical to use more cores. I hope you have done this on your 4-core computer. On Fluent, you check Parallel and type a number when you start building the model. 

ANSYS PERFORMANCE IS BEST WHEN SOLVING IN MEMORY

When making a purchase decision, you want the model to run entirely in RAM if possible. The model that ran for 5 hours on 8 cores may have needed 64 GB of RAM to run entirely in memory. If that model ran on a computer with only 32 GB of RAM, it might take 11 hours. ANSYS uses the term "in-core" to mean running in memory (RAM), but "in-core" has nothing to do with the number of cores.

RAM IS BETTER THAN CORES

For this model you will be better off with 4 cores and 64 GB of RAM rather than 8 cores and 32 GB of RAM. Doubling RAM is much better for the solution time than adding cores, but this only applies if the solver needs a large amount of RAM.  If the solver only needs 16 GB of RAM, it won't run any faster on a computer with 64 GB of RAM. RAM is cheaper than cores so my advice is to install the maximum amount of RAM that the motherboard supports.

hi I have quastion about threat? what is the effect of threat?

edited April 2020

Hi peteroznewman, can you help me?

What's the effect of threats??

edited April 2020

What threats?  We turn hyper-threading off on our machines as splitting a core isn't a good idea with simulation software. 

Note, with the Student limit of 32k nodes I doubt you'll need 64GB RAM for Mechanical. The CFD limit of 512k cells shouldn't use much more than 2-3GB even with something really (and excessively) complex. 

edited April 2020

I want to choose a CPU between

intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 ( 6 core - 12 threats - 3.5 Mhz)

and

AMD Ryzen  5 3600x (6 core - 12 threats - 3.8 Mhz)

thanks for your reply

• StePiz2019SAEStePiz2019SAE Posts: 7Member
    edited May 2020

Hi peteroznewman, can you help me?

I need to buy a new computer workstation for fluid simulation. I am part of the SAE formula project and I wanted to build a workstation to not melt my laptop.

Being a member of the aerodynamics team we mostly use ANSYS Fluent. Does it make sense to buy a GPU? The order of cells with which we are going to work will be from 4-10 million cells. I have the academic-research license which allow me to use 16 core.

I use ANSYS 2020R1

Is there a good configuration recommendation?

My design idea as follow:

Intel i9 10980XE  18 cores - 36 threads (liquid cooled) - Base Frequency 3.00 GHZ - Max Turbo Frequency 4.60GHz 

MSI X299 - LGA2066

128 gb ram DDR4 3000MHz

PNY Quadro RTX 4000 - 8GB GDDR6  or PNY Quadro P4000 - 8GB

SSD M.2 1TB

What do you think about?

Thank you for answer. 

P.S. What do you think about AMD (Ryzen - Threadripper)? 

edited May 2020

Look at this document that shows which GPUs are supported to accelerate Fluent; the choice is Quadro P4000.

All the other specs look great.  Good luck!

• StePiz2019SAEStePiz2019SAE Posts: 7Member
    edited May 2020

Thank you so much. One last thing... So shouldn't I have too many problems solving 10 million cell meshes? Is such a configuration honest for the calculation that I will have to go to do? 
    We use RANS - k-omega sst. With this configuration, indicatively how many hours of calculation would it take to solve a 10 million cell meshes (hybrid mesh Quad/Tri)?

Thank you for your time

• mengfantemengfante Posts: 1Member
    edited May 2020

Hi, I’m configuring a Lenovo p330 workstation, debating between i7-9700k and i9-9900 non k, they have same core count, same turbo frequency. Difference is 9900 has hyperthread, 9700k doesn’t, and 9700k has higher base frequency. I don’t plan to overclock. And I see older post says hyperthreading is recommended to be turned off for ANSYS, is that still the case now? 9700k is 30 dollar cheaper, not a big factor here.

thanks

I’m using workbench mechanical. Topology optimization and composite. Student license

• kailashkailash Posts: 34Member

@peteroznewman your posts are really amazing. I wonder if I could get some suggestion from you for my next new Workstation purchase. I am thinking to go with Intel Xeon Gold 3.9 GHz 8 cores with 64 GB RAM ( 8 X 8 GB) - 1 TB SSD and 2 TB SATA HDD. You think this is a good configuration? I have fluent license till 12 cores. So another option I have is Intel Xeon Gold 3.6 Ghz 12 cores with 96 GB RAM ( 12 X 8 GB). Now the clock speed is less, so wondering to go with 8 core or 12 core