Finding area of a 2D rising bubble

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the rise of an air bubble in a vertical pipe. My primary goal is to control the expansion and study the interface of the bubble as it rises through the pipe. I am using the VOF method and I have set the density of the rising bubble as of "Ideal Gas" in the drop-down menu. Now, I want to check the magnitude of expansion for "Ideal Gas". Is there any way I can measure the area of the bubble interface. Both where it is deformed and when it breaks up. The deformed case is of more importance. Can anyone guide me regarding the same, please?

Comments

• KremellaKremella Admin
    edited April 28

Hello,

You could perhaps create an iso-surface with volume fraction = 0.5. This will give you the overall interface. Once you have this iso-surface, you could use the 'Area' calculator under 'Surface Integrals' to monitor the area of your interface through the simulation. 

Can you try this and let us know?

Thank you.

Best,

Karthik

• SibasishSibasish Member
    edited April 29

Thanks for the answer. I tried to do as per your suggestion. Here, I am a bit confused as the result does not seem to be convincing. I have attached a screenshot and I shall be happy if you could check if I have set all the parameters right.

Thank in advance.

• KremellaKremella Admin
    edited April 29

Hello,

Can you hit compute and save the surface you are calling 'interface'? Please display this surface and share a screenshot of the same with us here on the community?

Thank you.

Best,

Karthik

edited April 30

Sure. I have done as you had told. I am confused about why the interface appears so thick. Also when I tried to measure the area of the patched bubble before simulation . The result was vastly different. Can you please clarify the anomaly.

Thanks.

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator
    edited April 30

Can you first of all display the free-surface alone?

edited May 7

Sorry for the late reply.

By free-surface do you mean the air-water interface of the bubble or top of the tube?

Thanks.

edited May 7
    Air/water interface
    edited May 8

This is the interface.

edited May 8

Okay it looks fine. So now what is the problem? The area of the interface my colleague already answered. There is another way but I would require some scripting or working with gradient of the volume fraction and integrating over the volume.