Cannot Visualize Fluent Dynamic Mesh

mskrmskr Member

I have a simple transient pipe case with an obstacle that deforms by flow force. I used system coupling with Fluent and Transient Structural.

Here is the fluid solid interface area in the sliced pipe:

At the end time 0.04 s, the mesh in Mechanical has deformed:

But in Fluent I see no deformation, although I have the latest solution data file selected.

Can someone point me to some option I might be missing, to verify that the Fluent mesh has deformed as it should?

I verified that this is 2-way FSI. There is a transfer of displacement data defined in system coupling. So why doesn't it show up?

Comments

• mskrmskr Member
    edited May 2

Sorry, I had trouble with the website and accidentally posted twice. The other post is here: https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/fluent-export-dynamic-mesh/

• kkanadekkanade Forum Coordinator
    edited May 4

I am not fsi expert. But you can check following and compare your settings. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• mskrmskr Member
    edited May 4

Ok I can reproduce the tutorial exactly as in the video, including visible mesh movement in CFD Post.

But the tutorial case applies a manual pressure to the plate via Mechanical and uses the fluid only for damping.

In my case, I want the fluid to induce a movement onto the structure, i.e. to have inlet/outlet boundary conditions and no pressure condition.

If I change the tutorial case like this, the plate does not move anymore in CFD Post.

In Mechanical, again, it does move.

So where could this inconsistency come from? And how do you view the flow field together with the mesh movement?

I am also interested in a way to export a unified representation of the flow and boundary movement in a simple format, preferably ASCII.

Did someone with any FSI experience encounter this issue before? You can also tell me if you need more info.

I am fairly new as well, invested countless hours in this problem and would appreciate any input very much.

EDIT: I recognized that there actually is a very small movement by reducing material stiffness, but it is still clearly not the same scale of deformation as seen in Mechanical.