Simulation of projectile impact using SPH

Hello to every one,

I am trying to set up a simulation in autodyn in which I should represent a hypervelocity impact of a particle over an aluminum layer.

The particle is about 0,1 mm with a speed of 1km/s and the layer is thin 0,5 mm.

I am would use SPH discretization because it is what best fit with HVI phenomena simulation, but I am encountering a lot of problems. 

The simulations stop every time, after some microseconds, with the error "time step too small" or "degenerate cells".

Can someone give me some advice on the appropriate parameter setting for this type of simulation?

Comments

• edited July 7

Hi Alice,

I realise I am a bit late posting, but I am currently undertaking a similar HVI project in AUTODYN so thought I'd share what I've learned in case it helped.

Have you calculated a suitable end time for your model? (distance/velocity=time) I took distance as the plate thickness + 2 or 3 times the particle diameter (my particle geometry 'touches' the plate at time = 0 to save unnecessary simulation time through empty space.

Have you checked that global erosion has been unchecked? (I don't think erosion settings are necessary for SPH)

Are you completing your model in 2D or 3D? What material, strength and failure models have you used?

Thanks

Jamie

• alicemariapiccirilloalicemariapiccirillo ItaliaMember
    edited July 9

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have considered almost 1ms as the final time for the computation, and I have unchecked the global erosion.

My model is in 3D, the plate is in aluminum 6061 and the projectile in aluminum 2023 T. The material models used for the two different Aluminum are a Mie-Gruneisen ("Shock") equation of state and Steinberg-Guinan strength model.

I did a trade-off in these two months and I have found a number of sph particles that allows me to get some results in a considerable amount of time (2/3 days).

If you have other tips for my problem, I would be happy to listen to it.

Thanks 

Alice