System coupling failing to start

Hi everyone,

I've been following some online tutorials to do a 2-way fsi for a rocket body using the academic research license (I'm pretty sure I've got the right license selected but not 100% sure) through my university. My issue is that when I'm ready to start the solution, I click 'update project' and almost immediately get the error:

(DP 0) Update of the Solution component in system coupling failed: The system coupling service failed to start.'

I've attached a screenshot of the output. I'm not sure if it's a licensing error or I've failed to put in necessary information somewhere. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

P.S. this is the tutorial I'm following

Comments

• benmilnebenmilne Member
    edited May 18

Additional information:

I am accessing this application over a citrix virtual desktop. I have found that system coupling is not supported for Remote Solve Manager (RSM) but I'm not sure how to check if this virtual desktop actually uses RSM. 

Does anyone know how to check this?

Thanks,

Ben

• SteveSteve Forum Coordinator
    edited May 19

Hi Ben, I would recommend going over the tutorial in the Ansys documentation since there is more detail than in this video.: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/sysc_tut/sysc_tut_oscplate_wb_fluent.html

Also, it is very important to build up the FSI simulation in stages as opposed to setting up the 2-way FSI right at the start. This document "Best Practices for Coupled Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI)" describes this process and is available here: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/sysc_ug/sysc_bestpractices_fsi.html

System Coupling is supported for RSM, but I think it would be better to use the virtual desktop. RSM is specified in Workbench when running the problem, so you would know if it's being used.

Steve

edited May 21

Hi Steve, thanks for your response! My analyses do work independently and I am able to perform a 1-way FSI on the bodies using the fluid-solid interface tool, it just seems to be in the case of using the system coupling module. I found the RSM settings and it is off, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The progress bar says "launching coupling service" and then fails when I try to update the project. Do you know how I can debug the cause of the failure?

I've watched about a billion videos and read documentation but I haven't been able to track down what exactly causes the error code, which is obviously a problem when trying to debug! Is there a console that outputs what Ansys is trying to do when it fails? The error code is very vague.

Thanks,

Ben

• SteveSteve Forum Coordinator
    edited May 27

Hi Ben,

You can turn on the Debug Output, found in System Coupling tab in Workbench > Execution Control > Debug Output. Then review all the debug log files. Also review all the log files (.out, .scl, .trn) produced by System Coupling and the solvers.

Steve

edited July 23

Hi Steve,

Because the system coupling fails to even start, it doesn't appear that the system coupling produces any log files. At least I couldn't find them in 'dp0\SC\SC\SysC' or in 'dp0\global\MECH'.

Ben