Bolted joint comparison to Eurocode

13»

Comments

• edited July 2018

Hi Fabricio,

I am not caught up on this thread. But based on your question, please check if this article helps? you might need to manually insert some commands.

Regards,

Sandeep

• Fabricio.UrquhartFabricio.Urquhart Rio de JaneiroMember
    edited July 2018

Thank you Sandeep, I will study some commands. This topic started in moment-x-rotation-steel-bolted-connection.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited July 2018

@Sandeep, the zip file attachment on this post has a paper with the definitions for Moment and Rotation.

Hello Fabricio, 

From the paper, M = PL is equation (4), which is for a point load P at a distance L from the column.

You have used a distributed load, q = 40 kN/m for a length, L =  0.872 for the symmetric half model.

You calculate the beam shear and moment diagrams for your problem.  I used an online calculator.

So when q = 40 kN/m,  M = 15.21 kNm

Regards,

Peter

edited July 2018

Peter, 

In the model, the connection is not rigid neither flexible, so the beam pass some value of moment to the column. A beam with flexible connection in both extreme, the moment will be zero in the extremes, and maximum in the middle, with the value M = (q*L^)/8.

Maybe I have to consider rigid connection and compare this moment, baecause the article compare a cantilever beam and compare the full moment. I am thinking: when this moment is not transfered to the column, the beam rotate.

@Sandeep, in the article we have reactions with cross section models. 

It says: "For a Moment Reaction scoped to a contact region, the location of the summation point may not be exactly on the contact region itself."

In my case, it is exactly what is happening. I would like to know the moment transfered between the contact region: bolts and endplate, endplate and column, and bolts and column.

edited July 2018

Fabricio, I updated by earlier post with the bending moment diagram for a cantilever beam. The answer for the maximum moment supported is the same regardless of whether you do the pinned end beam where L=1.744 m or the cantilever at L=0.872 m. The pinned beam has a deformed shape more like your model, while the cantilever beam shows the maximum moment at the joint. 

edited August 2018

Hello.

I would like your opinion about de moment reaction using symmetry.

When I compare the moment in the connection ( Moment reaction plus Horizontal Y Force Reaction multiplied for 2m, that is the column height) with the rotation (beam rotation minus column rotation, extremely near of the connection), have I to multiply for two, becasue the symmetry?I think that it is not necessary if I am comparing with the full solid, is it?

edited August 2018

You should have cut the load in half when you cut away half the model. Did you do that? In any case, the load you applied is used to compute the moment and plot that against the rotation.

If the problem specification says to analyze a beam that supports 40 kN/m and you choose to cut the model in half and apply 20 kN/m, you will get the same rotation as if you had not cut the model in half and applied 40 kN/m.  

What matters is how you label your Moment axis in the graph, you could label it: Half moment on half model.  Then you would show the 20 kN/m moment.

Or you could label it Moment and you would double the 20 kN/m and show the moment for 40 kN/m even though you used 20 kN/m in the half model.

The point is to be clear what you are plotting.

edited August 2018