Ansys Static Structural

Hello.

I'm new to this simulation World and tried simulating the Dye for Deep Drawing process. 

I've created a setup, but it shows certain errors and the result could not be converged. 

Attached is the project file. Can someone please help me with the same?

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited July 5

Without looking at your setup, I can recommend you study this discussion.

If you need help after studying that, reply with details on what is going wrong in your simulation.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 5

Hey. Thanks for replying. I just had a look at the discussion you shared, but I would still prefer doing it in 3D. Can you please take a look at the attached file and help me out?

Please make corrections and explain them as well, if you can.

Thank You

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 5

Ya, One more thing, Can you also suggest some tutorials for learning Ansys?

edited July 5

You will learn many useful things building a punch and die in 2D that will directly apply to a 3D simulation.

Here is a Tutorial on how to create an Axisymmetric Model. Similar approach is for a 2D Plane Strain model.

I will be happy to help solve any issues with a 2D model. Once that is working, then we can look at 3D.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 6

Thanks for the response. 

Can you please share your E-mail ID?

or, Can I contact you Directly over some Social Platform?

edited July 7
  • IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 7

Hey, I tried doing the same way. But is shows the following notification. 

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 7

Can you please once solve this problem and provide me with the solution? So that 

I can have a look at how the things were done? 

edited July 7

The surfaces under the Geometry window has ? on them. Click on one and see what is missing, the Material assignment or the Thickness.

Also, you can't take a 3D model had a Mechanical model built and change the Geometry to 2D and reuse the Mechanical model. That doesn't work.

I suggest you create 2D geometry with and start a new Static Structural.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 7

I've opened a new project. In SpaceClaim, created this view of the desired simulation body, used pull tool, to define a thickness of 1mm. But, it would then be considered as a body. So, just added a surface. 

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 7

Plus, in the model section, it should detect 3 surfaces, but it's only taking 2. The bottom one and the plate (the centre one) are in one single part.

edited July 7

1) When using the Pull Tool, the default is Merge so that can take 3 bodies and turn them into 1 body, which is not useful. Make sure to change the Pull tool to No Merge before you pull on them.

2) These surfaces are in the XZ plane. The must be in the XY plane. Use the Move tool to rotate all surfaces 90 degrees into the XY plane. Again, the Move tool has Merge as the default. You don't want to collapse 3 surfaces down to 1.

3) To get started, take just one rib in the pattern to learn the simulation. The solution will run much faster if you slice away most of the geometry.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 8

I tried the same. But as soon as I select the pull tool, it automatically selects 3 faces and gives them Surface under Single Surface. I can't get this, how to settle this. 

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 8

I can see 3 Surfaces in SpaceClaim but as I open Model, it loads only 2.
    The Lower One is Merged with the Middle One.

edited July 8

Start over. Create three components. Activate one component and make one surface, then activate the next component for the next surface and repeat one more time. The Pull tool cannot merge geometry from another component.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 8

This is what I can see after the model settings. 

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 8

Okay, Solved this. 

Attached is the file. Please have a Look. 

edited July 9

There is a lot wrong in the B system. I will point out a few items you need to fix.

1) In Workbench, the Geometry cell Property row 12, Analysis Type is not set to 2D, it is set to 3D. That means you have to start over on Static Structural. Use the Geometry from that file, but set the property to 2D on a new Static Structural.  You can't fix this one.

2) In Mechanical, you set the deformable body to Rigid. Leave it flexible.

3) I recommend you do one hump not six as your first model.

• IsshaanIsshaan Member
    edited July 9

And about other things/settings in model?