Adding a new Hyperelastic material in ANSYS Workbench Library.

AbdulsalamAbdulsalam MalaysiaMember

I want to add PDMS Slygrd 184 in my ANSYS workbench Material library manually. What are the main properties of the material I need to add so that when I perform various analysis on ANSYS than I can get the correct results and compare it with my experimental result . I have the experimental result of uniaxial test can I use it and then use any of the hyperelastic models like Ogden model. Will this be enough or do i need to go for more properties. If i need to look more properties than which are those? Is using the hyperelastic models only is enough to define my PDMS Slygrd 184 properties ? 

I have attached a photo  of my work for your reference. please I need your help As soon as possible 

Thanks In Advance 

Comments

• KremellaKremella Admin
    edited July 6

Hello,

This looks like an Ansys Mechanical question. Could you please confirm this here?

Thank you.

Karthik

• AbdulsalamAbdulsalam MalaysiaMember
    edited July 7

first, thank you for replying really appreciate it. 

I am not really sure what you exactly meant by ansys mechanical question?, However, what I am trying to do is to simulate the behavior of Dielectric elastomer actuator (DEA) and I want to add the material I used which is PDMS Sylgard 184 into the Ansys. I have the experimental result of stress and strain of the uniaxial test and I added the data already.  know I want to do simulation for the material and compare the result I get from the simulation with my experimental result.

The question here is, If I used the hyperelastic models provided like Ogden, Neo-Hookean,..etc. Is my material going to be fully defined already like the properties ? 

I have attached photos for your references.

Thank you, 

Abdulsalam

• jjdoylejjdoyle PittsburghForum Coordinator
    edited July 9

Hi Abdulsalam:

From the screen captures that you shared, it looks like you have already read in some stress-strain test data for your material and performed a curve fit for a Mooney-Rivlin 3 parameter Hyperelasticity model.  The FEA code uses the calculated coefficients (C01, C10, C11, and D1) in a strain energy density function to define the material.  It does not use the stress-strain test data directly.  Please refer to Section 4.6 of Material Reference Guide for more details on Strain Energy Density Functions for Hyperelastic materials used in ANSYS.  This applies to both MAPDL and Mechanical UI.

Regards,

John

• AbdulsalamAbdulsalam MalaysiaMember
    edited July 13

Dear John, 

Thank you for your reply and explanation. 

Regards, 

Abdulsalam