Error importing Solidworks 2020 geometry into SpaceClaim

When I insert the geometry from Solidworks 2020 into ANSYS Workbench 2020 R1, and attempt to open the geometry with SpaceClaim, it gives me an error saying "Unable to import the specified geometry into SpaceClaim." The piece I am importing is just a test piece which is just a rectangular prism. The geometry works in Design Modeler but will not open in SpaceClaim. Does anyone know how to resolve this? 

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited July 25

Import SW2020 into DesignModeler, then in Workbench, right click on the Geometry cell and select Open in SpaceClaim.

• nickcouchmikenickcouchmike Member
    edited July 25

Unfortunately that did not work for me. When I open it in design modeler is brings the model in but when I go to open it in SpaceClaim it gives me the same error.

edited July 25

Don't use SpaceClaim is the simple answer.

SolidWorks and DesignModeler both use the Parasolid kernel so there is no translation when importing the file, DM just reads the file and Parasolid renders the geometry.

SpaceClaim does not use the Parasolid kernel so SC must translate the data from Parasoilid to another kernel. Something in the data does not translate cleanly. This is often caused by degenerate geometry features. If you do some geometry repair in either SW or DM, you might succeed in getting it to translate into SC or you could just work in DM.

• nickcouchmikenickcouchmike Member
    edited July 25

The reason that I need to use SpaceClaim is that it allows me to extract beams from the geometry I bring in which is a tube frame chassis. Is DesignModeler capable of extracting beam profiles from geometry that is imported?

edited July 26

DesignModeler is capable of assigning a beam cross section to a line body. If you import a wireframe representation of the centerline of all the tubes, you can assign a cross-section from a long list.

• marcelozorteamarcelozortea BrasilMember

Hi nickcouchmike, I had the same problem but I solved that. In solidworks go to "save as", select parasolid and go to options, there, change your save version to 30.0.