Why ice floats on water

KremellaKremella Admin

Hello,

Could someone explain why ice floats on water?😯

Thank you.

Comments

• Hello,

An excellent question!! Solid ice and liquid water are the phases of the same substance. The density of the solid phase is generally larger than that of its liquid counterpart. However, in the case of water, ice is less dense compared to water and this is the reason why ice floats. At the molecular level, liquid water is made up of hydrogen bonds that push the molecules further apart when the water crystallizes into ice. This causes the ice to become less dense and hence, this is why an iceberg can float on water. In nature, this phenomenon helps preserving all the animals living in water from freezing during winter.

I hope this explains the concept. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I'd be happy to help.

If not, good luck with your school work!

Thank you.

• It's due to the anomalous expansion of water. An abnormal property of water where it tends to expand instead of contract when the temperature drops beyond 4 degree Centigrade. This is the reason why fish and other aquatic animals survive in harsh winters in places where water bodies get frozen. Only the surface of the water is frozen, below the surface the temperature is conducive for aquatic life.