Fluent-Maxwell Coupling for EM Pump Modeling - Maxwell modelling of conducting fluid

WilliamMurrayWilliamMurray Member
edited August 2020 in Electronics

I am cross-posting from the Fluids forum since I am coupling Maxwell and Fluent for this project.

I've been trying to model EM pumps, and I found this paper that used EMAG and Fluent together. I am having some difficulty with replicating the results in Maxwell and Fluent.

Is EMAG an older electromagnetic solver that got phased out by Maxwell, or is it a rebranding of the same product?

I've seen Maxwell and Fluent coupled in other instances, but I've not seen any case where there was an electrically conducting fluid (such as sodium) being modeled. I have modeled sodium flow in Fluent without issue, but I am not sure how to "model" a liquid in Maxwell. The paper describes applying an initial uniform velocity to sodium in EMAG and then exporting a force distribution dataset to Fluent via a UDF. How can I apply these steps in Maxwell?

I've also seen papers that use Fluent's MHD module for EM pump modelling, but the module is limited to Cartesian coordinates and does not easily work in cylindrical coordinates or with coil-generated B fields.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - I am a relatively new user and I have not seen any guides on modeling electrically conducting fluid anywhere.

Answers

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

EMAG is probably one of the older Mechanical functions that is (I think) mostly obsolete. The Mech team can advise on that! Maxwell doesn't so much as replace it as offer a much wider capability.

Fluids in Maxwell are typically just there to block/absorb the fields, so just tend to warm up. We pass the temperature data to Fluent, and that then works out things like HTCs based on the temperature: the feed back then alters the temperature in Maxwell so altering the absorption and so on. I know we've run such a coupling with molten metals, but am not sure whether there is anything I can share on here. I'm assuming it's a PhD level problem, so ask your supervisor to have a look on the Customer Portal. I'll ask this end if there's anything public domain we can reference.

As an aside, staff are not permitted to open/download attachments and as the link looks like something on an upload site I'll delete the link to avoid copyright issues. If the paper is public and/or free to access please post a direct link to Researchgate or similar or add a note with the link.

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

Having spoken to a colleague, it's been done but required significant work with system coupling and Fluent UDFs, and that code isn't available. If the wider community can't assist we may be able to offer some pointers via training, there would be a cost associated with this, and your supervisor will need to contact the local Ansys team to discuss.