SLES 12 SP3, Ansys Mechanical 20R1 GUI and Solver don't start

KirillKabalykKirillKabalyk Member Posts: 2
edited August 2020 in Ansys Products

Hello,

currently I faced the following issue: running SLES 12 SP3 the GUI of Ansys Mechanical 20R1 would not start. Instead, it throws the following message:

In the command line I see the following output:

Considering updating the LSB, above is also the output considering LSB packages currently installed. Below is additional output form Yast:

Another issue is that when I click "Update" on the solution cell in either Static or Transient structural or even Modal analyses (in WB), the solver would not start solving, but would stuck at initial phase. The only thing I may do then is to interrupt the solver.

I am not quite sure whether the issues are caused by conflict of LSB versions. Anyway, I will be grateful for pieces od advice.

Thank you,

Kirill

Comments

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Posts: 3,071Forum Coordinator
    edited August 2020

Hi Kirill,

Are you using this Linux machine directly or remotely ? If remote, describe how.

The error doesn't show much info. Could you set the following environment variables

ANSYS_FRAMEWORK_DEVELOPMENT=1

WBTRACING="true"

ANSYS_FRAMEWORK_DIAGS=Utilities.TraceToConsole

Then, launch Workbench with

<path to wb>/runwb2 2>~/stderr.log 1>~/stdout.log

and check the error from ~/stderr.log and ~/stdout.log

Also, please provide the output of the followings

lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Thanks,

Win

• KirillKabalykKirillKabalyk Posts: 8Member

Hello, Win.

Thanks a lot for a quick reply.

This is a remote Linux server. It has 16 compute-nodes and one common server which shares the disk space with each node. I access it from a Windows PC through a local network at my institute. Firstly, I create an SSH-tunnel using Putty and then use it to establish a VNC connection. I use RealVNC viewer as a remote desktop client.

Below are the outputs you requested:

Additionaly, here is the status of the environment variables:

These are the same at server5 where the logs are taken from. However, at server5 the system has been already upgraded to SLES 12 SP4. But the CommandBar and DockingPane errors are still there regardless of the system version.

Thanks again,

Kirill

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Posts: 3,071Forum Coordinator

Hi Kirill,

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, ANSYS employees are not allowed to download files/attachment. Could you post screenshots of the content inline with text or copy the content out and post it here ? If those *.log content is too long, you can focus only on the 'error' part.

Thank you,

Win

edited August 2020

Ok,

So, below are the outputs:

1. glxinfo:

----------------------------------------------------------------

server5:/home/kirill # glxinfo | grep OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)

OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.2

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

OpenGL extensions:

------------------------------------------------------------------

2. lspci:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

server5:/home/kirill # lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12

01:00.1 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200EH [102b:0533] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:330e]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Memory at f9000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]

Memory at fb9e0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]

[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]

Capabilities: [a8] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [b0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [c0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00

Kernel driver in use: mgag200

Kernel modules: mgag200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. stderr.log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******************************************************************************

*** A fatal error has occurred within AnsysWBU.exe and it must be closed...***

******************************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. stdout.log:

Thank you Kirill.

Can you try setting the following environment variables

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/ansys_inc/v201/Framework/bin/Linux64/Mesa

then start Workbench with this command

/home/ansys_inc/v201/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2 -oglmesa

Does this help ?

If not,

Do you have install.err file under /home/ansys_inc ? If so, please post its content.

Please try another debug method by setting these environment variables

ANSYS_FRAMEWORK_DEVELOPMENT=1

MWDEBUG=true

MWOUTPUT=stdout

then launch Workbench

/home/ansys_inc/v201/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2 2>~/stderr.log 1>~/stdout.log

and post the content of these logs again.

Thanks,

Win

edited August 2020

Hello, Win,

Thanks again for the reply. The method with -oglmesa did not help, unfortunatelly.

I have the "install.err" file, but its contents concern only couple of comments about the installation of version 19.0, so its basically empty.

Empty is also stderr.log after I set the variables you requested.

Below are the screenshots from stdout.log after the "Failed loading DockingPane" error (Design Modeller):

Below is also some content of the stdout.log after the "Failed loading Commandbar" error (Mechanical):

Many thanks for assistance,

Kirill

My another thought is:

the "/home/ansys_inc" directory I currently use is actually located on server node's disk and is shared with each computing node. Previously (until 2019 R3, I suppose) this approach allowed us to run all WB applications on computing nodes without problems. Could it be that after changes introduced in 2019 R... this way of sharing the "/home/ansys_inc" directory might now cause this issue?

Hmm, the error is the same as earlier.

What if you create a test user account, does it encounter the same issue ?

For the other thought, as long as each compute node has all required prerequisites installed and ran product configurations, this shouldn't be an issue. You can check Linux installation guide from online ANSYS Help. For prerequisites, check Chapter 2. For product configurations, check section 4.5.3.

Did you go ahead and try updating the LSB ?

edited August 2020

I'll try to create the additional account, thanks for the tip. The other current users, however, experience the same problem, but we will try it.

Considering LSB, I am not quite sure. At the moment I should most probably have at least two versions installed simultaneously (2.0 and 4.0). I judge this on the basis of the shell and YAST.

The shell output is:

kirill@server5:~> lsb_release -a

LSB Version: core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64:desktop-4.0-amd64:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.2-amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch

Distributor ID: SUSE

Description: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP4

Release: 12.4

Codename: n/a

The Yast pkglist.txt is:

Stan   (state)  |   Pakiet (package)             | Podsumowanie  (summary)             | Zainstalowano (dostępne) (installed-available) |  Rozmiar (size)

[Pozostaw] [Keep] |     lsb              | Linux Standard Base Core         | 4.0-20.1.1        |   110 B

[Pozostaw] [Keep] |     lsb-release          | Linux Standard Base Release Tools    | 2.0-28.1 (2.0-18.1.1)   |  16,2 KiB

I may try to uninstall lsb-release (2.0) to leave the 4.0 version only, however since I'm not a system administrator, I will not do this unless I know whether it is safe.

Thanks again,

Kirill

Thank you for the input Kirill. That sounds good.

For the LSB, I agree, it's best to have your system admin do this. Probably they can just update the version without having to uninstall the 2.0 but this is up to them.

• KartiSinghFreemanKartiSinghFreeman Posts: 15Member

I have the same error with the GUI, I was wondering if there was any solutions to this.