Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

ANSYS 19.0 with Additive Manufacturing Extension — Ansys Learning Forum

ANSYS 19.0 with Additive Manufacturing Extension

emmanuel_amoako_00emmanuel_amoako_00 Member Posts: 31

Hello,

I am currently using ANSYS 19.0 to model using additive manufacturing extension but, the powder bed fusion process is not having laser power as one of its build parameters for me to vary it. Is there a way for me to get an extension with laser power and also can I analyse the dimension of the molten track during the simulation process?

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,851
    edited July 2018

I believe you can only set the temperature. In Additive Print (another tool, not currently included in the Student bundle) you set set power as it's a more comprehensive solution. 

• emmanuel_amoako_00emmanuel_amoako_00 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2018

Thank you very much for the positive response. Please is there a way I can get a link to download the ANSYS Additive Print software. I am currently working on FEM simulation for selective laser melting using Ansys as my project.

edited August 2018

You're welcome. It's not quite as easy as just downloading the software, you also need a licence. Please can you speak to your supervisor about this as the University will need to talk to ANSYS or the local representative depending on where you are. 

edited August 2018

Hello Sir...please can you confirm for me whether this is the Additive Print software you suggested. One of my professor said this was the Beta Version and I didn't know how to start the simulation so I went ahead to use ANSYS Workbench 19.0 with the Additive Manufacturing Extension and realized I couldn't change the laser power and also determine the molten track dimensions.

edited August 2018

You need the Thermal Strain option. Please use "Help" for further assistance and hopefully the community can take over as it's not a tool I have any familiarity with. 

edited August 2018

Okay Sir... thank you very much for the useful information. I am extremely grateful for your assistance.

• SandeepMedikondaSandeepMedikonda Member Posts: 1,514
    edited August 2018

Hi Emmanuel,

You can change the laser wattage and other configuration details as shown below under machine configuration:

Please post such additive related questions in the Structural Mechanics group to get faster responses in the future.

Regards,

Sandeep

edited August 2018

Okay Sir...thank you very much for the information. Please I will post future questions to Structural Mechanics Group.

• DBStudent92DBStudent92 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2019

Hello everybody,

i have the same problem with the laser power by using only ANSYS Workbench and not ANSYS Additive Print. Is it possible to get a one month license for Additive Print? What are the guidelines for this license?

@emmanuel_amoako_00 where did you get your license?

Thanks for any help

edited August 2019

Hello rwoolhou,

is it possible for german universities to get a limited license for ANSYS Additive Print. Because i have the same problem with the laser power in ANSYS Workbench.

Thanks in advance

• SandeepMedikondaSandeepMedikonda Member Posts: 1,514
    edited August 2019

Please reach out to your account manager or ANSYS Support Coordinator at your university.

Which school are you from?

In the future, please open a new discussion for any new question. Take a moment to refer to the Guidelines on the Student Community

edited August 2019

Hello Sandeep,

i am from university of stuttgart in germany. Ok, so i will find out the support coordinator at my university.

What is the next step after contacting the coordiantor?

• gaudencegaudence Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020

Hello,

I want to simulate additive manufacturing process using ANSYS 2019 R2, I have designed a model using solid works. I would like to ask the steps I can follow in order to generate the support structure and build plate. Thereafter, which format can I save my file to be accepted by ANSYS with additive manufacturing extension.

Thank you

• EyobMesseleEyobMessele Member Posts: 9
    edited January 31

Hello everyone,

I have stacked on the ''Build File". I inserted the part geometry with STL file format and the machine specifications on SLM format and compress it to .Zip file. What is the solution? Is there anyone who have a video tutorial of Ansys Additive 19.2?