Running a two-way coupled FSI on linux HPC cluster

ReneHiemstraReneHiemstra Member Posts: 1

Hello all,

I've been bashing my head against running a two-way coupled analysis on our local HPC. I've tried reading and applying the various command line tutorial but those get me stuck as well sadly. My predecessors here used system-coupling in an old ansys version(17.1). But now we are working with a newer version, 2019r1 and I have no documentation available to me to pull this off. I've extensively tried to follow the oscillating plate tutorial with command line options provided to me by Ansys, but I can't get it to work for me.

I have the following files:

1. Fluent.cas file
  2. Mech.dat file
  3. Coupling.sci file
  4. A journal.jou file for fluent
  5. a Shell file to submit the simulation to the cluster
  6. and lastly a .py file to give commands for system coupling.

My shell file does not have much information in it, just some basic IO and the following command:

/opt/ud/ansys-2019r1/v193/SystemCoupling/bin/systemcoupling -R inputfile.py &

Where the inputfile.py looks like this:

1 importSystemCouplingInputFile(FilePath = 'Coupling.sci')
 2 execCon = DatamodelRoot().CouplingParticipant
 3 execCon['Solution'].ExecutionControl.InitialInput = 'Mech_FSI_A1.dat'
 4 execCon['Solution'].ExecutionControl.WorkingDirectory = 'struc_run'
 5 execCon['Solution 1'].ExecutionControl.InitialInput = 'Fluid_body.cas'
 6 execCon['Solution 1'].ExecutionControl.WorkingDirectory = 'fluid_run'
 7 execCon['Solution'].ExecutionControl.PrintState()
 8 execCon['Solution 1'].ExecutionControl.PrintState()
 9 Solve()

The only output this gives me sadly is:

sed: couldn't flush stdout: Broken pipe

My predecessor worked with an older version, but too be fair, I'm a bit over my head here and I don't know where to start to get this to work. Before I used a totally different shell file:

which used the following commands(leaving out file I/O)

45 module load ansys/2019r1
 46 module load mpi/openmpi-1.8.8-gnu
49 /opt/ud/ansys-2019r1/v193/aisol/.workbench -cmd ansys.services.systemcoupling.exe -inputFile ${COUP   LING} &
 76 fluent 3ddp -rsh -t ${NPF} -g -cnf=${PBS_NODEFILE} -scport=${HOSTPORT[0]} -schost=${HOSTPORT[1]} -s   cname="${JOB[4]}" -i journal>& output.FLUENT &
 86 ansys2019r1 -b -scport=${HOSTPORT[0]} -schost=${HOSTPORT[1]} -scname="${JOB[2]}" -i Mech_FSI_A1.dat    -o output.Ansys -np ${NPA}

The problem here sadly is that the simulation would just close with the following error:

244 DBG | (Name, Host, Port): (4, n**-**, *****)
245 DBG | Request served - Scanning to see if all required service providers have been registered...
246 DBG | Last provider to connect: 4
247 DBG | Connection from provider '4' not expected. Notifying and disconnecting provider.
248 DBG | Connecting to service provider: 4

So I was stuck there as well, and as i understand from other forum posts the above mentioned method is outdated and no longer supported.

Summary:

Have all the needed files for my FSI simulation but cannot get the command line setup to execute the simulation on my HPC. Hoping that someone can point me to a good tutorial or to what I am doing wrong here.

With Kind Regards,

Rene Hiemstra

Best Answer

Answers