Workstation configuration for Fluent

yelyaayelyaa Member
edited September 1 in Ansys Products

Dear Ansys community,

For my thesis, my lab has given me a budget to set up a workstation for my work (and for them for the future)

The budget allows me to go for a 14-core CPU (we can afford a ~1000-1300 $ CPU), and I am a bit lost in the choice to be honest.

For now I foresee an Intel Xeon w-2275, but I was wondering if going for a Xeon, instead of an i9 for example, or maybe a similar performance AMD is worth it.

The only advantage I see in the Xeon for the moment is the ECC option, does it really make a difference ?

Thank you very much for your help

Comments

• Moving this to the Installation thread for better alignment.

Please have a look at the following links.

Thanks.

Karthik

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Forum Coordinator

Here is recommended hardware (of course, you do not need to match all these specs)

Intel® Xeon Core series 62xx also known as “Cascade Lake” Processors

• Turn off Hyper-threading

• Leave Turbo boost on

Memory (Fastest memory, so DDR-4 2933 MHz)

• To operate at maximum speed all memory channels in both processors should be populated with equal amounts

of memory. Minimum 192 GB RAM per machine to meet this requirement.

Interconnect (Server/Cluster solution ONLY)

Omni-Path, EDR, QDR or FDR IB interconnect if you will be running on 2 or more nodes in parallel (on a cluster, Minimum

10 G network.

Hard Drives

SSD (NVMe, M2 interface) drives.

Graphics (Rendering)

Nvidia Quadro NVIDIA® Quadro® P4000, NVIDIA® Quadro RTX™ 4000

NOTE: For rendering/display – Ansys requires OpenGL and the workflow that is recommended is that you do all

pre/post processing on a workstation and not on a server unless it is a graphics server. A high-end OpenGL graphics

card and recent drivers are required.

GPU (CFX does not support GPU)

AVX2 (Fluent Only)

• Supported ONLY for Fluent 18.2 and higher using this flag in your startup script: -platform=Inte