Heat transfer between a substrate and polymer particles as well as heat transfer between particles.

Hi everybody,

I am looking for modelling the heat transfer between a particle and a substrate, and then in further stages modelling the heat transfer between the particles.

I am relatively new to simulating Heat Transfer, what is the best module to use for my work? I have read some people use ANSYS FLUENT, others are using Mechanical Heat Transfer. From my understanding, Fluent is best for complex shapes or when a flow is involved.

From this basic explanation, could you please help me to figure out which module is the more adapted for my work.

Many thanks,

Alexandre

Tagged:

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

It depends, as you've noted. If there is flow in the system then Fluent tends to be more accurate (if set up correctly), if there's no flow then Mechanical will be much faster.

Do you have flow? How many particles (and of what diameter)?

• Dear Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

My objective is to model the heat transfer between polymeric particles on a substrate. The varying parameters between the simulation would ideally be:

• the heat source, i.e., only heat from the substrate or radiation heating coming from heaters or a classical oven heating where the air surrounding the particles are heating up the particles.
    • the size of the particles, varying from 1 µm to 50 µm
    • the shape of the particles, from spherical to non-spherical
    • the roughness of the particles and the substrates.

But first, I would like to start with a simple model where I only model the heat transfer between a particle (~20 µm) and the substrate. Then, when I have the temperature and heating profile of one particle from the substrate, I would like to model it with 2 particles. Once this is "working", I would add more particles and start playing with the size of the particles, their shape, etc.

If I can do this Fluent and that this gives me more possibility in the future, I would tend to stick with Fluent. Unless I cannot do the simple stages of y modelling with Fluent.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Alexandre

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

Fluent will model particles (many of) flying around and bouncing off things: read up on the DPM model for this. If you're just looking at a static particle on the surface the multiphase models may not be suitable (you can explain why when you've read the documentation) so Mechanical may be more suitable.