Planar Antenna Sims

Hello,

I have some planar antennas on an IC substrate and would like to look at the radiated power broadside (into air) vs that which is sent into the substrate and radiates out the back. I tried using two infinite sphere radiation boundaries - one covering the upper hemisphere, and one covering the lower hemisphere. (My antenna feed is at 0,0,0 and suspended on a substrate that extends in the -z direction).

The first hemisphere extends from phi:-180 to 180, theta:0 to 90

The second hemisphere extends from phi:-180 to 180, theta:90 to 180

I have a PML boundary around the entire antenna.

I get exactly the same values of all the antenna parameters (except front to back ratio) for both cases. Should this method be working? If not, what other methods would? I am yet to try integrating the Poynting vector across the hemisphere. Also, what surface would I need to use to do this integration?

Tagged:

Answers

• pmunagapmunaga Forum Coordinator

Hi,

We need more information to serve you better regarding your query. Please share images of your antenna model along with the co-ordinate systems by using the insert image option provided.

All the best,

• I am attempting to simulate a folded slot. Below, find attached the E field, extending more into the substrate than air as expected. I am looking to calculate the rad eff only in the broadside direction, in terms of what is radiated into air vs the substrate.

• pmunagapmunaga Forum Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the details and appreciate your patience. Kindly share them in the following format:

1. Label different objects in the geometry and make sure none of the object is hidden,
    2. Superimpose the radiation pattern on to the geometry.

This will help to understand your query more effectively.

All the best.

Best Regards,