Studing a Fibre Line within a Profile

Hi guys,

I have been trying to set the analysis to study a small recorded fibre within a profile. See picture below where the fibre is positioned.

I have already tried to set as a coordinate probe to give the deflections and stresses in that points, however, I wonder if I could get that as a different solid from the rest of the matrix. For instance, the polyline to behave as a truss element (axial forces only) and a different EA (stiffness) from the rest of the profile.

Any suggestion of a good set in the design and in the mechanical parameters to evaluate the stresses and deflections between the polyline (fibre) and the rest of the matrix?

Thank you very much for your time and help,

Regards,

Andre Pitt

Best Answer

Answers

• akhemkaakhemka Forum Coordinator

Hi Andre,

You can model the fiber as line bodies and assign the link elements to them.

Please see if this video may be helpful:

Regards,

Ashish Khemka

• Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your time and reply,

I'm a bit inexperient with the software and I really appreciate your support,

I've tried to add the line body (beam element) to study the line, however, I can't mesh it. Perharps it might be the fact that I was not able to cut the surface underneath of the line. Any simple command or advise on that?

Once again, thank you for your time and help.

• Dear Peter,

Thank you for responding my queries in this post also,

I'm just using the model that you uploaded and adjusting accordingly. The stress analysis that you did just using the edge is amazing!

The fact is that the fibre is should behaviour as a fibre of hair (cable behaviour) where it has no bending forces, only axial stress. If you try to fold the hair it will do so easily, however, if you try to push it it will have some sort of strength.

That's is the reason I was trying to assign a truss/cable element to study this behaviour.

1) I did try to assign a personalised section where I remove the I (moment of inertia) and kept the A (area), but the program didn't run.

2) If I could change the edge element that you did to a truss/cable behaviour would be exactly what my studies are aiming to achieve.

See enclosed the few adjustments that I did.

Thank you Peter and all the member here in this forum, it's definitely helping to increase my knowledge about the software and what it can be done with it.

Best Regards,

Andre Pitt