DPM problem in a coupled analysis

Hi,

I have a problem with discrete phase modeling in a coupled analysis (Two way FSI analisys): "Particles lost outside the domain while spanning over partitions". It's strange because before running the coupled analysis, I run an analysis only in fluent with the same settings and particles are tracked in a right way.

The fluid domain is a parallelepiped, with one inlet and one outlet and the flow is laminar. There is a single injection and the particles are modeled as uncoupled dpm.

Are there special settings that I have to check before modeling dpm in a coupled analysis?

Thanks

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

How much does the mesh change during the structural part? Given the way particles are handled I can see some being lost if the geometry is no longer present following an update.

• Thanks Rob for your interest.

I don't understand when you say "how much does the mesh change during the strucutral part", could you clarify it? Thanks. However, I try with a different injection type: I choose "release from surface" and it works, but for my purpose I need single or group injection.

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

You said you were doing FSI so that implies some change in geometry.

For point injections etc make sure they're a cell or so into the fluid domain, with scattering & numerical errors it's very easy to have an injection that's just outside the fluid domain.

• Ok, the change in geometry is very small, the displacements sent from structural to fluent are in the order of nanometers.

Selecting release from surface, it works, but I have 10 cells on the inlet, so I have 10 streams. Is it possible to release particles only from one or two cells from the inlet for example?