Wrong pressure results in the shell side of a shell and coil heat exchanger
When separately simulating each side of a shell and coil heat exchanger, physically correct results are obtained, however, when combining both sides together to simulate the whole system, wrong pressure distribution in the shell side is obtained after convergence!
My questions are:
- How could the presence of the 2 domains together affect results?
- What can be done to fix this?
Summary of used settings:
- All solid and fluid bodies share topology (Conformal mesh)
- Solver: Pressure based - Coupled
- Working fluid in shell: air
- Working fluid in coils: thermal oil (density 850 kg/m^3, viscosity 590e-06 kg/m-s)
- Turbulence model: SST
- Both fluids mass-flow-inlet and pressure-outlet BC
- Each fluid is initialized separately
- Default methods and controls
- The same mesh and settings are used when simulating each side separately and when simulating both of them together
- Changing to non-conformal mesh or using SIMPLE pressure-velocity coupling didn't help