Resonant frequency in SRR

Hi All:

I have a few questions in simulating split-ring resonator:

1. I simulated SRR and got a resonance at about 3 GHz. What are the possible options to shift the frequency to 5 GHz for the same substrate? Is it possible to give the final frequency to the software and it can adjust the final dimensions based on the given frequency? Or the only way is to use optimization and trying different dimensions for different parts of the design?
  2. Can we get the average magnitude of the H field on a specific region of my design (just a number)? I plot the field and I can see the field distribution on each part of the design, but not sure how to get the average magnetic field strength in that region.
  3. Going one step back, when assigning the excitation (I use wave ports) the software (by default) sets the power for the first wave port (incoming wave) to the power that we have defined and for the second wave port to 0. Is it the way that it should be defined?

Thanks,

Mojtaba

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your help. It was indeed helpful. I simulated a coplanar waveguide to see the field distribution on the signal line. In this design (attached) although everything is symmetric, e.g. the geometry, the wave ports, etc., the plotted magnitude of H field using ComplexMag_H does not seem to be homogeneous over the surface of the signal line (well of course other parts too, but the important region for me is on top of the signal line). I expected the field to be symmetric because at least in the simulation there is no geometry imperfections. Please see the attached for field plots. Note that the field in some of the plots are scaled for better clarification.

My question is that, first, is there something wrong with my simulations? Or is it something just natural (if it is, it would be great if you can explain)? And second, the field range in the signal is ~ 875 to 11900 A/m, but the average of the field on the signal surface is about 1700 A/m. Is there a way to increase this to the upper band in the scale?

Here is the way I simulated:

1. There are two wave ports at the end points of CPW. The integration line has defined for both, and the port normalization is set to renormalize all modes to 50 ohm. The L and W of the ports are designed to be 10 times bigger than of the width and thickness of the signal.
    2. Radiation box has been defined.
    3. Analysis is set up to single frequency solution (10 GHz) and I defined frequency sweep. Maximum number of passes is set to 12, with max delta s set to 0.02.
    4. the width of the signal is 20 um and it's thickness is 150 nm made of gold.

Thanks,

Mojtaba

• It looks like the pictures has not been attached. So here I'm gonna upload it again.

• rtkrtk Pune, IndiaForum Coordinator

Hi @Mojtaba,

Please have a look on this thread https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/21019/magnetic-field-distribution-on-cpw#latest.

I've given some insights there!

As Ansys employees, we are not supposed to download any attachments from the community. It would be great if you could embed these images directly into your post.

Thank you!