Which analysis system should be used for analyzing an avocado fruit?

I am new to Ansys and I have learned basics of Ansys. I have to do analysis of an avocado fruit under various conditions.

Answers

• What kind of analysis?

What conditions?

What do you know about the avocado material properties?

Have you created the geometry of an avocado?

• saumil_d97saumil_d97 Member
    edited October 9

Hi @peteroznewman,

In my project, mechanical testing on an avocado is performed. I am trying to replicate the similar condition into ansys under static structural. The avocado fruit was placed under the indenter and loading was applied through universal testing machine until deformation occurred (deformation was observed as the graph for loading value started to lower down). I have properties of avocado flesh(MOE, poisson's ratio, stress-strain curve obtained from mechanical testing data) and skin(young's modulus, poisson's ratio). I have included avocado properties in ansys through applying stress strain curve under uniaxial compression test (for flesh only) & isotropic elasticity(for MOE and poission's ratio(for skin and flesh both).

I have created the geometry of an avocado in solidworks (assembly of plate, avocado(placed on the top of the plate and an indenter over the avocado). Please see the image below.

I have done basic simulation in static structural analysis through making plate surface as a fixed support and force application at the front most part of the indenter (which is touching the avocado fruit). I applied constant force(load) and got this deformation data. But it is not similar to the mechanical testing condition.

Now I am finding methods for,

1. how to apply loading conditions over time on the avocado through indenter ( I have data on load applied(kN) over time(s) on the avocado), (Force/remote force?)
    2. how to keep the indenter straight while moving it downward(as it moves downward at angle)
    3. how to apply force through indenter, to get the deformation only on the avocado. (as the loading analysis shows effect on the indenter also)

I am searching for this methods but I'm not able to find it. If you can provide some guidance then it will be really helpful.

Thank you.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited October 10

@saumil_d97

What material is the indenter made from? If it is steel, you can set that to be a rigid body and then there will be zero stress reported on that body.

Use a Translational Joint to Ground for the indenter. Use a Joint Load to drive the displacement of the indenter.

Are you trying to test a 1/2 an avocado or 1/4? Did you apply a symmetry region?

You will need many more elements to get good results. Which license are you using, the Student or a Research license?

Why do you think Explicit Dynamics is required? If the indenter is moving slowly, you can use Static Structural.

Do you have a report that you can share with details on the testing of the avocado flesh and the avocado skin? I want to see details on the sample size and the way it was placed in the testing machine. Are photos available? I want to see the force-deformation data from the testing machine. How was deformation measured? You can put these files into a zip file and attach that to your reply.

• Hi @peteroznewman ,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the material of the indenter is made of steel.

I will try to use a translational joint and a joint load for displacement of the indenter.

I'm trying to test 1/4 of the fruit. I am currently using the Ansys software(19.2) available at my university in Brisbane, Australia.

Yes, the indenter is moving slowly but I need to apply the load per time, so I thought explicit dynamics will be a good option.

Here, I have attached a file, which has the loading data applied, stress and strain values obtained from the mechanical testing (same values were applied to the fruit flesh properties in Ansys). I need to apply the similar loading conditions and compare the stress strain values obtained through Ansys analysis with the stress strain values obtained from the mechanical testing. The testing was performed on avocados of different shapes and sizes, there is no exact shape or size. I have selected the shape and size of a randomly selected avocado.

Please have a look. It will be really helpful if you can provide some guidance.

Thank you