How can create Cylinder ACP?

Hi everyone!

I have a steel cylinder model. I need to cover its outer surface with cfrp material. Can you help me?

Model : height=1250 mm Radius=500 mm thickness=1 mm

figure-1 :CFRP and Epoxy properties

Best Answer

Answers

• sharveysharvey San Diego, CAMember

Hello,

The first place to start would be in the help and look for the ANSYS Composite PrepPost User's Guide. In that there is getting started, examples, etc. That can help you get situated with the usage of the tool.

Also, if you search on YouTube for Ansys composite preppost ACP you will find videos that help with getting started, etc.

The constitutive material data you have will need to be homogenized with the proper volume fraction fabric type (UD/woven, etc.) to get the composite material orthotropic materials. You do not have all the necessary material data such as Poisson's ratio of the constitutive materials. See if you can get more data from the supplier, but if not it can be estimate. Do you have access to Ansys license at University or company? The student version does not have our material designer tool, but those other licenses do. Now there are ways to do homogenization without software and I can try and send you some additional information.. Knowing if you have access to a full license would help in this discussion and I can follow back up.

Thank you

Sean

• Thank you Sean, I have a Ansys license from my University . I will be glad if you post.

Regards

Oguzhan

Hello Oguzhan, so you will want to get on that licensed version, then fire up Material designer. See image below as to where it can be found in the Workbench toolbox. It has a wizard that is pretty straight forward. You need to specify the material properties of the fiber and epoxy, and then go through the wizard picking what type of material (UD, woven, etc.) It will finally solve for the orthropic material constants. You can search around on the internet for similar materials maybe to get and idea on the Poisson's ratio or the fiber or epoxy or even contact the manufacture.

Hope this helps get you started with that tool to get 9 orthotropic material constants you need.

Thank you

Sean

• Hi @sharvey , I tried to use this section and obtained this material. This is woven carbon epoxy material.

But now,I don't know how can I create cylinder. (1 mm steel-and cover carbon epoxy)? Because I have 7 models. Not every model is completely covered. Some of them have only certain areas covered with carbon epoxy.

Hello OguzhanA

So you would use this as engineering constants for a material in engineering data. In fact you can connect the Material Designer to Engineering data to pass this.

You will add the steel material (actually it will be in there by default) Then you need to setup your geometry, mesh. You can split the surfaces of the cylinder in Geometry (SpaceClaim) and then use name selection in Mechanical to indicate regions, then in ACP, you will use the oriented element sets to reference these regions (Element Sets) that have the different layups. You have to specify the layups of the carbon in ACP in the modeling ply. Much of these steps are covered in YouTube videos on ACP. See if you can find one and follow along on the basic usage of ACP.

Does that help?

Thanks

Sean

• @sharvey I found details.

STEP-1 : I will apply SAT4500 (Epoxy encapsulation resin) about 1 mm.

Figure-1: SAT4500 Properties

STEP-2: Then I will apply my fibre fabric.

Figure-2: Fibre Fabric Properties

STEP-3: Again apply SAT4500 .

question-1 : I watched ANSYS material designer tutorial and firstly I created Epoxy Carbon UD then created epoxy carbon woven. When I created epoxy woven, I used resin. Now in ACP, will I use resin again ? or Should I use resin (for sat4500-1 mm) ?

question-2: If I define fabric in ACP, Should I define three fabric ( 1 mm SAT4500 Resin-Epoxy Carbon Woven-1 mm SAT4500 Resin)

Regards

OguzhanA

• Thank you, Sean @sharvey

Regards

Oguzhan