FEA of Spade Installed on an Air Line

Dear ANSYS,

I am carrying out an FEA study on a 6mm thickness, 1894mm diameter spade which is to be installed to blind/isolate an air line. The material of the spade is ASTM A36 and the air pressure is 1.37bara. The essence of my study is to determine the optimum thickness that could be safely used to blind or isolate the line. The inside diameter of the circular duct is 1830mm, while the below highlighted faces (front & back) of the spade will be tightened (i.e. enclosed) between flanges of the duct.

I have created below 45deg model of the spade in ANSYS SpaceClaim and set it up in ANSYS Mechanical. The geometry face in blue below was where I applied the "Fixed" support, while the face along the circumference will be resting on the flange bolts.

I however feel the set up may be incorrect as the results are quite large and appearing unrealistic.

Please can someone assist to look at this and guide me on how to properly set this up to enable me obtain correct results within the capacity of the academic license.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Ayodele1

Comments

• apwangapwang CaliforniaMember

Hi Ayodele1,

The general set up looks no problem too me.

Regarding the lager deformation than expected, you might want to check if the material is defined with correct unit.

Also, shell element is recommended for this model. If you are using solid element, try use at least two layer of element along the thickness.

• Thanks Apwang.

I had actually entered the Modulus of Elasticity as 200,000MPa and the poissons ratio as 0.26 which are the material properties.

I am using solid element, and will use more layer of element as advised.

Please any other ideas on how I may be able to obtain high fidelity result?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ayodele1

• Dear ANSYS,

I am analyzing a 6mm thickness 1894mm diameter spade for fitness for blind-off service. The material of the spade is ASTM A36 and the load is air pressure @ 1.37bara. The inside diameter of the enclosing circular duct is 1830mm, while the faces "D" of the spade below will be fastened in the flanges of the duct. I created a 30degrees model of the spade and applied displacement (Symmetry) boundary conditions to the cut faces and fixed support to the fastening faces, as shown.

Figure 1: Boundary conditions

Figure 2: Equivalent Stress

I have applied my pressure load on the free face of the plate as well as the fastened face, please is this set up correct?

The maximum stress is concentrated at a point of one of the cut faces (as shown on above figure 2) and was the case through the mesh refinement. Please what could I be doing wrong as I expect that the stress concentration will be uniform across a radius close to the constrained face and not localized at a point?

I need help from anyone who can be of help.

Many thanks for your anticipated support.

Ayodele1.