Through_crack_modeling_approaches

Hello, dear members of the forum! Can you please tell me, except how through creating a cut in the geometry it is impossible to model a through crack? I mean 2 approaches: creating a rectangular cut-through in geometry with subsequent implantation of a semi-elliptical crack at the ends, or creating a cut-through with sharp ends at the vertices and then applying a premeshed crack. And will these approaches be correct?

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Evanston, ILForum Coordinator

Hello,

With our current tools, the crack front (the nodes along the edge which comprise the initial crack tip) needs to be contiguous. If modeling a through-crack, adhering to this requirement doesn't seem feasible. However, if you're performing crack growth (via SMART, XFEM, or manually growing the crack yourself) you could use either a semi-elliptical or premeshed crack as an initial surface crack and then as the crack grows it could eventually become a through-crack. Or, if you want to model the initial crack in such a way that it is very close to the final boundary or outer wall and then calculate what is the critical K or J value that will cause the crack to penetrate that wall, then a premeshed crack could work in this case, since you're starting with a contiguous crack front. Please let me know if I'm understanding the problem correctly and I should be able to provide further guidance. Thank you.