Ansys won’t open on my computer.

To whom it may concern,

I had to download Ansys Student 2020 R2 for one of my classes at the University of Alberta, but for some reason workbench, along with all other aspects of the program, quit automatically before I see the screen. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program several times, and the same issue keeps happening. I have found the following error within the installation and uninstallation notes – I hope it helps.

ErrorLogger.errorFilePath is C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\ANSYS Student\v202\CADConfigLogs\CADConfigurationMgr.err

Answers

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator

Make a clean uninstall and install with explicit Admin Rights (Run as Admin ) is not enough to install as Admin.

• andieandie Member

I don't understand? I tried to install as Admin, but how would I run it as Admin as well? Should workbench not just work after the installation process?

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Forum Coordinator

That note is not for an error. It tells the location of the error file but it's for CAD Configurations, which is not the issue you are having here.

You mean you are trying to launch Workbench but it doesn't do anything ? Did you see splash screen ?

If it crashes that early, it normally has something to do with security software blocking it.

You can also check Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events and see if there is any event logged when you tried to launch Workbench and it crashed. If so, post the details of that event here.

• andieandie Member

I opened Workbench once successfully, but now it keeps quitting. Here is the XML view of the details.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-10-16T20:18:30.0284012Z" />

<EventRecordID>64466</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-DENNE6K</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>AnsysFWW.exe</Data>

<Data>20.2.0.0</Data>

<Data>5ecd4a3a</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>10.0.19041.572</Data>

<Data>1183946c</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>0000000000023e49</Data>

<Data>3c8c</Data>

<Data>01d6a3f97b7127ce</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\ANSYS Student\v202\Framework\bin\Win64\AnsysFWW.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>e6a2ed56-6621-49a3-85ad-a4a5a5fd71f1</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

</EventData>

</Event>

The text in the general portion of the administrative events for the error is below.

Faulting application name: AnsysFWW.exe, version: 20.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ecd4a3a

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x1183946c

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000023e49

Faulting process id: 0x3c8c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a3f97b7127ce

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\ANSYS Student\v202\Framework\bin\Win64\AnsysFWW.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: e6a2ed56-6621-49a3-85ad-a4a5a5fd71f1

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Additionally, an error from the source .NET runtime was encountered, and the details are below.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-10-16T20:18:29.8120431Z" />

<EventRecordID>64465</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-DENNE6K</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>Application: AnsysFWW.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at Tao.Platform.Windows.Gdi.ChoosePixelFormat(IntPtr, PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR ByRef) at Ansys.UI.Toolkit.SWF.SWFGLControl..ctor(Ansys.UI.Toolkit.GLFormat) at Ansys.UI.Toolkit.SWF.UIFactory.newGLControl(Ansys.UI.Toolkit.GLFormat) at Ansys.UI.Toolkit.UIFactory.newGLControl(Ansys.UI.Toolkit.GLFormat) at Ansys.UI.Toolkit.GLControl..ctor(Ansys.UI.Toolkit.GLFormat) at Ansys.UI.Graphics.Window.GLWindow..ctor(Ansys.UI.Graphics.IConfiguration) at Ansys.Graphics.Views.ChartView..ctor(System.String) Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean) at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo) at Ansys.Utilities.FactoryObj`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].CreateInstance(System.String, System.Object[]) at Ansys.UI.Workspaces.Workspace.CreateView(Ansys.UI.Views.ViewMetaData, Single) at Ansys.UI.Workspaces.Workspace.Create(Ansys.UI.Views.ViewCategory, Single, System.String[]) at Ansys.UI.Views.PageManager.CreateChartPane() at Ansys.UI.Views.PageManager.CreateAllPanes() at Ansys.UI.Workspaces.ASimWorkspace.InitializeLayout() at Ansys.UI.Workspaces.Workspace.Create() at Ansys.UI.MainWindow.Create(System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Ansys.UI.Toolkit.WindowState, Int32) at Ansys.UI.UIManager.CreateWindow(System.String) at Ansys.UI.UIManager.StartUIItems(System.String) at Ansys.UI.UIManager.Start(System.String) at Ans.Program.Runtime.DoRun() at Ans.Program.Windowed.WinExecutable.Run(Ans.Program.CommandLineParse) at Ans.Program.Windowed.WinExecutable.Main(System.String[])</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• andieandie Member

I just received an unexpected error message that reads:

"The following required addins could not be loaded: Ans.SceneGraphChart.SceneGraphAddin. The software will now exit."

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

Search for that error on here as it's been answered elsewhere.

• andieandie Member

Hi Rob,

While I respect that this has been answered elsewhere on this site, that was the first solution I turned to. I have now wasted over 12 hours of my time trying to figure this out on my own, and would really just appreciate some help delegated to my specific issue as I have a big assignment due this week that I have been unable to begin due to these technical difficulties.