What type of connection to consider between concrete column and footing joint?

Hello everyone!

I am modelling a concrete column with footing which looks like this -

I wanted to ask if i should consider both as bodies as single unit or 2 seperate entities? The main problem with using 1 single body is with meshing, as the simulation will only run at a particular mesh size like 50mm and will not run otherwise

If i consider 2 seperate bodies, i can mesh them independantly and provide seperate mesh sizes, However I am not sure how to set up the joint between them, I have tried using bonded but it does not converge like the single model, and looking for more help from you guys.

Comments

• HuiLiuHuiLiu Forum Coordinator

In general conformal mesh between two parts (share topology on) is the best way to connect two bodies if they are supposed to be tightly connected and not have relative movement wrt each other. You can try insert different mesh controls, eg. separate size controls on each body, different mesh method, mesh the parts in different sequence etc. If this doesn't help, you can use the bonded contact definition like you mentioned. Usually bonded contact shouldn't add much convergence difficulties since it is linear contact. You might need to take a closer look at the warning/error messages. Did it show the bonded contact is successfully connected? From the figure it is not very clear how you define the contact, is it face-face or edge-face? If the later you might want to switch to MPC formulation.

• @HuiLiu Thanks for you reply, I use design modeler to create geometry and I am not sure how to use share topology properly with it, The bonded contact requires additional time to solve because the solver needs to solve additional equations. I found the single body option to be better suited for analysis but i am looking forward to try other options too.