Looking for Acoustic Extension for ANSYS Version 2020 R2

Hello,

I need to model the interaction of an acoustic pressure wave with a polymer membrane to find out the displacement the acoustic wave it causes in it. So far, I have figured out that I should use Harmonic Response module to do such modeling. However, I noticed that the Acoustics extension is missing from the workbench, meaning, it's missing from the "Manage Extensions" window. And that happens to cause an issue that items such as "acoustic body" and "acoustic wave sources" are missing and I won't be able to add them to my model.

I have the ANSYS license through our school, and apparently, the acoustic extension does not come with the installation package provided by the school. Trying to find it online, I found the following link, which provides it for free:

However, it only includes up to V192.1, and the ANSYS I have installed using the installation package provided by school is V2020 R2.

I wonder if this mismatch of versions will possibly cause any errors or any issues in the accuracy of my Harmonic Response simulation. Also, I wonder if there is any way for me to obtain the Acoustics extension for V2020 R2 to avoid such mismatch.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could comment on this.

Thanks,

Parinaz

Answers

• AniketAniket Forum Coordinator
  • The Acoustic Extension 19.2 works in ANSYS 2020 R2

Can download here

https://catalog.ansys.com/

nisimshushan, thanks for your feedback! I was just telling that it may not work, and if they face any issues, it is not supported in other versions! But still thanks for confirming!

-Aniket

How to access Ansys help links

Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum

• Hi Aniket,

Thank you sop much for your response.

I'm actually not able to open the ANSYS help links you provided in your comment, since I cannot login into the ANSYS Help website as a student user. I tried to follow the steps mentined in the "How to access Ansys help links", but when I open Ansys Workbench help, it does not open in a browser, and it opens in a window titled as "Ansys help viewer", and there is no address bar in it where I can paste the address to the Ansys help link you provided. I tried Tools->Go To Page, and pasted the link address in the "Enter Page Location" field, but when I pressed OK, I get an error "Cannot find this page location in the documentation".

Please advise me on how to access the help links you shared, or please explain how I should get the acoustic module working for version 2020 R2.

Thanks,

Parinaz

• Also, I'm not quite sure what you meant by acoustic extension being available as a standard system in Ansys 2020 R2. Does that mean that it should already be available with the standard installation of Ansys mechanical? In that case, I should clarify that after I installed Ansys, specific acoustic functionalities such as "acoustic body" or acoustic sources were not available in Harmonic Response module. Could you please explain how to access those functionalities to Ansys 2020 R2?

Thank you,

Parinaz

@sadrip , assuming you are using 2020R2, if you are using local help, the links that I mentioned above have local path as:

help/wb2_help/wb2h_modal_acousAN.html

and

help/wb2_help/wb2h_hamonic_acousticAN.html

which you should be able to navigate to go to page function.

Btw which license are you using?

Ideally with student license one should see these two systems, if I am not mistaken.

-Aniket

• Hi Aniket,

I was able to open the help links. However, they are no so helpful to what I'm trying to resolve. I wonder how I can define the fluid medium surrounding the polymer membrane in my simulation as acoustic body, in a "Harmonic Response" module, while it is missing from the menu when I right click on "Harmonic Response" in Model window and click on insert. I assume I should see the "acoustic body" in there, but it is missing. Also, acoustic wave source options are missing as well, and most importantly, FSI is missing, so I can't set up any fluid-structure interaction in my model.

I did try and install the version 2019 extension, and those options showed up in the Model window for Harmonic Response after installing it. However, I faced errors after running the simulation for a tutorial example for a speaker, for the acoustic mass source and the acoustic pressure boundary condition that I have used in the model. Here is the error message I get: "You have applied an invalid load for the current analysis."

Again, I need to use Harmonic Response module, as I want to see frequency behavior of the structure, so Modal Acoustics and Harmonic Acoustics are not what I'm looking for, to simulate my model.

About the license I'm using, I've got the license through school: http://laptops.eng.uci.edu/software-installation/ansys-campus-software-for-uci-engineering

As it is mentioned in the link, different types of licenses are included under it:

• Solvers are all included. The license set includes 50 Research (Mech/CFD), 25 Research (Electromagnetics) and 250 Teaching of each, 75 Composites, and 128 HPC's: 
    • NOTE: By default, research licenses are issued. After research licenses are used up, licenses are issued at the Teaching level with node restrictions.

Not really sure how I should be able to check what kind of license is applied to my end, but I think I should have all modules available under such license:

Please advise me on how I can resolve the issue regarding unavailability of "Acoustic Body", "FSI", and acoustic sources and boundary conditions in Harmonic Response in Ansys version 2020 R2.

Thank you,

Parinaz

• akhemkaakhemka Forum Coordinator

Hi @sadrip ,

Why do you need to install the ACT? I think Aniket answered the question, first reply from him on this post.

Regards,

Ashish Khemka

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited October 20

Hi @sadrip ,

@Aniket pointed to Harmonic Acoustics. Add that to your project page.

After you import some geometry, and open Mechanical, you can find the tools you are looking for.

Some of the names have changed since you used the API. Acoustic Body is now called an Acoustics Region. I see a list of Acoustic Excitations.

To do FSI you need to add a Physics Region and select Structural Region so you have two types of regions that can have an FSI.

• Hi @peteroznewman ,

Thanks for explaining. I understand that acoustic region, acoustic sources, and FSI are available in Harmonic Acoustics module. However, as far as I understood from ANSYS tutorial, I think I'd have to simulate my model using Harmonic Response. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have checked and Harmonic Response does not have acoustic region, acoustic sources, and FSI available in it. I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. Would be great if you could comment on this.

Thank you,

Parinaz

• sadripsadrip Member
    edited October 26

Hello,

Can someone from ANSYS please clarify the answer to my question? I was told that our ANSYS license guarantees our questions on the forum to be answered, which would take 2 days typically, but it's been 5 days now.

Thank you,

Parinaz

@sadrip , I thought @peteroznewman already answered your question above, is it not?

Please post an inline image of what you see in "Harmonic Acoustics" system (NOTE: It is not Harmonic Analysis)

-Aniket