In workbench, how to obtain plastic work density

b.x. Yangb.x. Yang Member
edited October 13 in Structures

In workbench, user defined result, such as 'volum' and 'nlplwk' can acquire element volume and nodal plastic work. Using the two outcomes, plastic work density may be obtained, theoretically.

I've tried, but finding that It's just a numerical result. It can't tell me where is the critical region.

So I wander whether there is an handy way telling me where is the region with biggest plastic work density.

Answers

• sharveysharvey San Diego, CAMember

Hello, so nlplwk is the non-linear plastic work per unit volume. nl does not indicated nodal. This quantity already has the volume accounted for, so no need to do anything further. It can be compared to the modulus of toughness of a material. If you do a search on modulus of toughness you will find detailed explanation. So this can be used to get a sense of how much strain energy per unit volume the material can withstand before fracture. It can also be used in fatigue applications and with solder that can be common.

So if you make a contour plot you can see the contour of value and you can compare it to the modulus of toughness. Let us know if this answers your question.

Thank you

San

• 😁,thank you very much.

NLPLWK means plastic work divide element volume, is that right?

My another question is the unit. If I choose μMKS unit system in ANSYS Workbench, result from NLPLWK represents pJ/μm^3, also 10^6 J/m^3?