How to simulate two connectors motion?

13»

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,071
    edited September 2018

Model stopped shortly into Step 3. Here is the Force-Displacement curve for pushing one-quarter of a clip into the plug. Multiple this value by 4 to get the full model reaction force.

The force that is shown above is not real, it is an artifact of using linear elastic materials in a model that takes them past their point of failure. Therefore if the clip would have broken. 

The maximum tensile strength of Pure Nickel that I found was 1000 MPa, which has been colored red below, and the yield strength was 935 MPa. Annealed Nickel had much lower values.  It is difficult to find the ultimate tensile strength for silicon, but one reference was 120 MPa.

If your goal is that this clip does not break off, then you are bending it too much and you should consider a design change.

Regards,

Peter

• jackherojackhero Member Posts: 85
    edited September 2018

@Peter,

Thank you for the detail video for solving the model and useful information regarding the convergence problems. With reference to your video post link here, I would like to ask how did you estimate that the solution has passed the 10% or 20% or 30% point? To be precise you mentioned about it around time 9:00 minutes of above mentioned video.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,071
    edited September 2018

Jack,

When the solution has a time step of 1 and the time is at 0.3, that is 30% of the way through the solution.

This Discussion is too long, so when you have a question on an old discussion, just create a New Discussion to ask your question and you can put a link into the old discussion for reference.

Regards,

Peter

• kaitovakaitova Member Posts: 85

Hi dear Peter, @peteroznewman, I am trying to run simulation that you were so kind to describe here and explain to the user. I am trying to rerun it myself. Would it be possible for you to check my mistakes as I can not succeed in this simulation. Thank you in advance