How to set up seemingly simple grinding/turning scenario?

Hello, I am having difficulties determining how to set up a grinding/turning scenario. I used a microhardness test on this forum for setting up the contact scenario, except I used a frictional contact.

I would like to simulate a fixed-axis rotating cylinder, with a small tool in contact. I have the student version of Ansys, so I need to keep the mesh elements within the limitations of the program.

I first attempted a static structural analysis, where I had the tool contact the workpiece, and things seemed to work without issues. For this I followed a tutorial for a microhardness test that I found on this forum, but I used a smaller cylinder to get results faster. From here I tried a remote displacement, and ran into issues.

The materials would be structural steel or something similar for the cylinder, and something like silicon nitride or tool steel for the tool. I believe I could make the cylinder a thin walled tube, and reduce the mesh size.

I am interested in the stresses and strains in the tool, but I would also like to see if I could run a short simulation with material removal (if there would be any). If someone could provide me with some ideas or instructions on how to continue, I would really appreciate it!

Tagged: