LSDyna Material model 234

Hi am trying to simulate draping using material model 234. Can some one help me to allocate the angle for different plies. I tried all the method like: PART_COMPOSITE, ELEMENT_SHELL_COMPOSITE and defining angle with SECTION_SHELL by activating icomp but with no success.

Comments

• rgenestrgenest Member
    edited October 23

Hi,

Which software are you using to create your composite layup? How do you plan to simulate draping? Does your geometry has a doubly curved surface? If this is the case, then draping simulation will be useful. Or maybe you just want to assign material directions? You could specify material directions to follow a curve in LS-PrePost or with Ansys Composite PrePost (ACP). See attached image. ACP could also be used to do draping simulation (change of fiber direction when fabric is layered on a doubly curved surface).

You want to create a layup of dry woven fabric with many plies correct? If not, then *MAT_234 is not appropriate.

Reno

• Hi,

*MAT_054 is most commonly used to model layups of prepreg layers because of its simplicity and because it is easier to calibrate with experimental data.. *MAT_054 can model unidirectional plies as well as woven layers. I would give *MAT_054 a try before looking at more complex material models. You can search for "*MAT_054 LS-DYNA" and you should get many sources of information.

Let me know how it goes.

Reno.

• Hi Thanks for the reply. I am using LSPrepost. The issue i was facing was that i was using older version of solver which was not supporting the allocation of angle for that particular model. Got it updated. Now its working fine. I am planning to incorporate layers of woven fabrics with resin using PART_COMPOSITE option available.

I have one query, this is regarding the history variable that are available. Can some one tell me as how to export the data and also i want to edit the result to get user defined fringe. Can you please help me regarding the same.

• Hi,

Here is some more information regarding modeling composite materials with LS-PrePost:

Also, using *PART_COMPOSITE is a good option to model composite layups. It simplifies the process quite a bit.

To have access to the history variables, you need to set NEIPH (for solid elements) and/or NEIPS (for shell elements) parameters on the *DATABASE_EXTENT_BINARY keyword. In LSPP, do Fringe Component and then Misc. See the user manual for more information.

Finally, to do operations on results and get user defined fringes, you can use scripting in LSPP. The following document has what you need:

Reno.