Difference between pressure in structural and acoustic analysis

skadamskadam Member
edited October 23 in Structural Mechanics

What is the difference between pressure in structural and acoustic analysis?

Best Answer

Answers

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited October 24

When solid elements mesh a volume, the nodes are assigned different unknowns for the two types of analysis.

Structural models have displacement of the node in X, Y and Z as the unknowns. Pressure can be applied to the node to make it move to a new static or dynamic equilibrium position, or to have an amplitude and frequency of oscillation in a harmonic response analysis.

Acoustic models have pressure at the node as the unknown. Pressure can be applied to the nodes in the form of an acoustic excitation, but the nodal XYZ coordinate doesn't move, the pressure wave can move through the mesh.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited November 3

@skadam Let me clarify what I meant by "Pressure can be applied to the nodes in the form of an acoustic excitation". The Acoustics training material provides this equation to convert a surface velocity excitation into incident pressure:

If I want to apply an incident pressure, I divide the pressure by rho*c to get the normal surface velocity to be used in the Surface Velocity Excitation.

@akhemka Pressure shows up in two places in the Harmonic Acoustics analysis. As a load called Static Pressure and as a Boundary Condition called Pressure. Please give an example of how these would be used in a harmonic acoustics model.