Reinforced Carbon Fiber Concrete

How can I create reinforced carbon fiber concrete ? (Material Designer or other?)

Comments

• ekostsonekostson Member
    edited October 2020

Hi

We would need to know more in order to provide some guidance - e.g., any papers that refer to the type of concrete you want to model, or a detailed explanation of the material/structure of interest?

So in general much more information is needed.

Thank you

Erik

• I have experimental data on both normal concrete and fibrous concrete. Are these enough? Or do I need create a material model with matrix concrete fibers carbon fiber to model the fibers?

Regards

• ekostsonekostson Member
    edited October 2020

Thanks for the info.

That is good.

So if you have Young's mod., Poisson's ratio, and then depending on the nonlinear material model (e.g., Drucker Prager, or Menetrey Willam), say compressive/tensile strength,

then one can input them to Ansys.

Thank you

• Thank you @ekostson Now I will share the information with my model from the beginning. I am using ANSYS2019 R3 and ı dont know APDL command.

Firstly I have a reinforced shear wall. But I need two different materials for concrete. 1-Normal Concrete , 2-Concrete with carbon and steel fiber.

My Model;

Material Properties for Normal Concrete , I used menetry william model for concrete.

Mechanical, I choosed link model type for rebars and I used the apdl command for concrete and rebars to work together.

This graphic is looking true according to previous studies. But what is this warning for rebar elements?

Finally If this analysis is true,I need to model carbon and steel fiber reinforced concrete. How can I do this ? I have material properties carbon and steel fiber and concrete. In addition, I have some experiment results for cocnrete and carbon and steel fiber reinforced concrete. These are compressive strength,tensile strength. And we know fiber volume for 1 m^3,carbon and steel fiber properties. But there aren't young modulus and poisson's ratio for carbon and steel fiber reinforced concrete

• WenlongWenlong CanonsburgMember

Hi,

You may have seen this, but typically we use reinforce element to model reinforced concrete, and it does require implementation using commands. Here is an example: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v193/ans_tec/tecreinfconc.html

In this section, there is a detailed guide about structural reinforcing analysis :https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/ans_str/Hlp_G_STRREINF.html.

In your case you can use Reinf264 element, and its reference can be found here: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/ans_elem/Hlp_E_REINF264.html?q=reinf264

Another example is my previous post, which is very similar to the first example: https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/35352#Comment_35352. In this post, I recommend using the reinf approach rather than the geometry approach.

It may be intimidating to look at so much APDL commands, but currently we don't have a GUI approach to generate these rebars for concrete. And mastering these commands help you understand what is really going on in the simulation. If you have any specific questions any time, feel free to follow up.

Bests,

Wenlong

• @Wenlong Thank you for the explanations. It looks really scary and difficult but I will make it happen. First I will make a carbon and steel fiber-free model and share it. I will ask you for new help with the commands I will create later and the errors that occur. Thanks for everything.

Regards

Oguzhan

Hi OguzhanA,

In 2020R2, an enhancement has been made to make modeling of reinforcement easier. You can now create line bodies geometries and then assign them as reinforcements. Please find more information here: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/wb_sim/ds_reinforcement.html.

Regards,

Wenlong

Hi OguzhanA,

Sorry I should have noticed this earlier. This new feature will probably make your life easier. But behind the scene, Mechanical generates the APDL commands and submit it to the solver, so understanding the APDL commands can help you better understanding what's going on with the model, especially for some advanced ones like yours.

Regards,

Wenlong

• Thank you @Wenlong , I will try both of them. But my model has thousands of fibers. It is unreasonable to think about drawing these one by one. This is a great convenience in rebar drawings for columns and beams , but I think it should be a different solution for small sized elements with random orientations.

As a result, these elements are mixed with the concrete mortar. Do you have an idea?

Regards,

Oguzhan

Hi Oguzhan,

In this case, does a multi-scale analysis serve your purpose? Do you need to explicitly model the reinforcements? If not, you can try Workbench Material Designer. If you do a search in the forum there should be many posts about that topic.

Or, apart from drawing the fibers one by one, you may try SpaceClaim Programming, it uses python to auto generate geometries. However, it does have some learning curve.

Regards,

Wenlong

• Actually, I wanted to try the material designer first. But since it is a macro-scale element, the curtain wall could not mesh. Can I do this in material designer:

Can I transfer my shear wall model geometry (0.15x1.80x2 meters) to material designer and define fiber using the volume of geometry there?

Regards

Oguzhan