Error: Unable to determine if an environment link exists. Invalid environment object.

System F is a Duplicate of System A to compare geometry and material selection

Block H was working, however upon changing the units in Block G, Block H,I and J no longer open.

Mechanical starts, I can see the setup, but then it abruptly closes with the error output seen below.

System A still works

Block K is a new Block for debugging that can be opened .

Any ideas for a solution?

Thank you.

System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine if an environment link exists. Invalid environment object.

at Ansys.Addins.Infrastructure.Remoting.RemotingApiHelper.FatalApiMethodInvalidOperationException[TReturn](String message, RemotingApiMethod`1 callback)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.BranchProcessor.ProcessInternalSources(DataContainerReference setupContainer, ContainerSourceHelper helper)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.BranchProcessor.ProcessDataSources(DataContainerReference setupContainer)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.BranchProcessor.SynchronizeBranches(DataContainerReference Container)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.AddSimulationBranches.ExecuteCommand(IFullContext context)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.EditSetup.ExecuteCommand(IFullContext context)

at Ansys.Addins.Infrastructure.CommandUtilities.CommandHelper.Execute(IFullContext context)

at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.CommandWorkUnit.executeInContext(CommandContext subContext, IExecutionEngineCallback tracer)

at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.BaseWorkUnit.doExecute(IExecutionEngineCallback executionEngine, CommandContext subContext)

at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.BaseWorkUnit.Execute(IExecutionEngineCallback executionEngine, Boolean dontCatchExceptions)

--- Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandFailedException: Unable to determine if an environment link exists. Invalid environment object.

CommandName: Mechanical.EditSetup(Container="Setup 3")

at Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandAsyncResult.RethrowFailureException(Exception e)

at Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandAsyncResult.Wait(Int32 milliSecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)

at Ansys.Simulation.Core.Commands.EditSetup.InvokeAndWait(IProtectedContext context, DataContainerReference Container, Boolean Interactive, Boolean Hidden, Boolean StartAsReadOnly)

at Ansys.Simulation.GUI.EditSetup.InvokeCommand(GuiOperationContext context, DataContainerReference containerReference)

at Ansys.Simulation.GUI.EditSetupBase.EditSetupOperation(GuiOperationContext context, DataContainerReference setupContainer, IGuiOperation operation)

at Ansys.UI.GuiOperationContext.Invoke(GuiOperationMetaData operationData)

at Ansys.UI.UIManager.InvokeOperationCore(String pseudoname, OperationDelegate callback, Boolean allowOSMessages, Boolean coreTransaction, Boolean deferredRefreshOnly)

Answers

• akhemkaakhemka Forum Coordinator

Hi @AidanPowers ,

It my have happened that the project is corrupted and you may need to restore the Mechanical Database for the corrupted Analysis Systems.

In your project folder, there should be an SYS.mechdb file for each Analysis object that was on the schematic ( the location for .mechdat is indicated in error message). - Make a copy of SYS.mechdb to another folder Rename the copy to SYS.mechdat Create a new Project. File > Import change the extension filter to .MECHDAT Browse to the SYS.mechdat and open. Save the project to a new name/folder when you are done. 

Please see if this helps.

Regards,

Ashish Khemka

• Hello @AidanPowers ,

Thanks a lot for connecting with us using Ansys Learning Forum.

For your query, it seems when you changed the Units for System G, it might have corrupted the connections between System G and System H, and all downstream systems (System I & System J).

In this case, you can follow these steps;

1) Delete the connection between System G and System H (Pink link)

2) Try to open System H now which is independent of any upstream system. Hopefully, it should open Mechanical interface now.

3) Now, update the System G if it out of date.

4) Connect the Model cell of System G with Model cell of System H to transfer the data.

5) If required, update the System G if it is out of date.

6) Now, try to open System H and update the Model component of System H if required.

7) Hopefully, it should also work for System I and System J as well. If it gives trouble, follow the above steps like deleting the connection first and then connect again.

I hope this answers your doubts. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Samir.

How to access Ansys help links

Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum