Laser Shock Peening simulation using Explicit Dynamics

Hi. I am attempting to simulate Laser Shock Peening model using Ansys Explicit Dynamics but after the simulation I am getting an error i.e. "Energy error". Any ideas why?

Comments

• cxquancxquan Berkeley, CAForum Coordinator

Under Analysis Settings -> Step Controls of the Explicit Dynamics system, there is a field called “Reference Energy Cycle”. The reference energy cycle is set to the cycle 0 by default. Program first calculates the total energy (summation of total internal energy and total kinetic energy) at the energy reference cycle and treats it as the reference energy. Then at every cycle after the energy reference cycle, program calculates the current energy (summation of total internal energy, total kinetic energy, and total hourglass energy). The relative energy error is finally calculated from the current energy, the reference energy, and the work done.

Energy error is a warning message. It is not an error message. You can plot Energy Conservation in Solver Output to see how energy error is increased. If it is increased gradually, the solution are usually OK. You can set Energy Reference Cycle to a very big number such as 1E7 to prevent the interruption of energy error. Then restart the run by Resume From the last saved cycle.

• Thank you so much for your help! I will let you know how it goes! :D