Rotating domain issue

qamarqamar Member

Hello everyone,

I am doing a transient case study on an airfoil, I made an interface between the rotating region and the static region. I carried out the analysis.

But the problem is the rotating domain is going out of its domain region. It is creating spaces between the interface as shown in attached pictures. I created a circular region of 0.6m around the airfoil. Then I created a C-shaped domain with another circle of 0.60001m.

Please suggest me what is the issue and why is it moving in such a manner.

Answers

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator

Have you created interfaces between both cell zones?

• qamarqamar Member

Hi, Dr. Amine. Thank you very much for your time. Yes, I have created an interface between cell zones as interface inner for inner zone and interface outer for outer zone.

I followed this video to create the domain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0zAHv0rEa8&t=1109s&ab_channel=HTC.

But the problem persists.

Thank you.

Add screenshots of cell zones and interfaces definitions.

• kkourbatkkourbat Forum Coordinator

looks like your rotation axis is not correctly specified. Go to the cell zone condition for the rotating zone and verify the rotation axis origin location.

• qamarqamar Member

Hi DrAmine and kkourbat, I am hereby attaching the pictures of interfaces, and I am also attaching the pictures of cell zone conditions. Kindly update me where I am going wrong. Thank you very much.

• qamarqamar Member

Hi I have also found there is a small gap between two interfaces and I can not mesh in this zone. I tried to mesh it but it failed. Can you please suggest is it ok or there is some issue. Thank you.

First of all switch off frame motion if you want to use mesh motion. Also use constant angular speed instead of UDF for the start.

Regarding interface issue if you go to the mesh interfaces menu and click on list after clicking the interface connection: copy the message printed intzhe console here

• qamarqamar Member

Hi DrAmine, Thank you for your message. I did the same and did not use UDF. The angular speed worked. But the intensity of the flow in the contours looks a bit odd. The velocity is high throughout the inlet as shown in pictures. Same for the outlet. I doubt it is domain dimensions.

What may be the reason?

You need to add more information about boundary, model settings...

• qamarqamar Member

The domain is 15c from the inlet and above and below. It is 30c from outlet. The model is SST-k-omega with inlet at 34 m/s and outlet as pressure outlet. The time step-size was used as 0.0003. However, I am getting this issue...Note: zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface...

Rest is ok. Thank you.

• qamarqamar Member

Another issue is gap between inner and outer zones. I am creating inner circle with 2 m radius and another as a part of outer domain with 2 m radius. But the gap is always there. I tried few methods but the gap is coming back after creating surfaces. It is later creating issues in interface-sliding mesh. How can I overcome this problem. Thank you.

I have previously asked following:

Regarding interface issue if you go to the mesh interfaces menu and click on list after clicking the interface connection: copy the message printed intzhe console here.

The warning message can be ignored. It is related to post processing a surface which is a placeholder for non overlapping faces