Advanced Search Option

Can we have an option of advance search for this student community? For instant, If I want to search for threads/discussions having a particular word in the title or within the discussion as well as in specific section of this community (e.g. Structural Mechanics or in Fluid Dynamics or in Geometry and CAD. I should have an option to select which particular sub-discussion or I would like to have the search in.

I searched for a word 'Contact' and I ended up with results from every sub-section of this community (like Structural Mechanics and from Fluid Dynamics etc). It would have been alot easier if I could select the sub-section by myself then I could only see the results from those sub-section only.

I checked the website but could not find a way for it. If there is already a way available then please guide me on it. If not then please add this feature it would save alot of time for users and may also save having multiple threads on the same topic if people can search within the sub-section of their interest.

Thank you

Comments

• KremellaKremella Admin
    edited August 2018

Hello,

This is an excellent suggestion and thank you very much for this. I am going to take this up with the development team. We are slowly going to incorporate a lot more features into this community. Contributions such as this one are vital for growing this ecosystem and I'd like to thank you for this. 

There is a post here by Peter which suggests an alternate way of searching using 'Google'. I am attaching the link here.

https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/a-question-about-student-community-using/

I hope you find this useful.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Karthik

• pglpgl Portland, Oregon, USAMember
    edited August 2018

+1 for this great feedback jackhero. We'll consider this and add it to our enhancements to-do-list. 

• jackherojackhero Member
    edited August 2018

@Kremella, Thank you for that link. It is useful indeed.

In addition, the search results currently show only two results per page. I think, it could have been easier if the search results show 5 or 10 results per page.

• rounaksinghrounaksingh Rochester, NY, USAMember
    edited October 2018

Hi admins,

A way-better search option is needed for this website. As the content on this site will increase in coming years, people need to search the old answers first rather than creating a duplicate discussion.This will greatly reduce the work for ANSYS help admins. Most of the questions are just repeated. The web devel team should take the 'search' as a major issue, not on the sidelines. Because I am using this website for few months, and believe me I have never found any answers because of terrible search options. I use ANSYS electronics desktop. Whenever I search something, results from mechanical, fluent comes up. It is annoying!

Few suggestions from my side:

- word/user Filters. - if a post has a answer from normal user or from one of the admins/moderators.

- date filters - old posts

- software filters - Fluent, Electromagnetic, etc.

- Also, the search keywords should be highlighted when the the search results are shown. Helps to figure out the context of the question quickly.

Thanks @jackhero for posting this.

• KremellaKremella Admin
    edited October 2018

Hello,

Thank you for this feedback. I am glad that you are finding this website useful.

You are absolutely correct about the search and we are working internally on improving this. Your suggestions are spot-on and we will definitely consider them into account while we are brainstorming on how we can improve this community and how we can get more out of this. You are correct, there are questions which are repeating and the 'search' on the community is partly responsible for this. 

Thanks again for taking time to provide your inputs on the community.

Best Regards,

Karthik