Error : state inconsistency, no relevant contact point for an active/impacting contact pair

Hi to all,

Fisrt of all, thank you for taking time to read this question.

I'm trying to simulate a gear crank mechanism with a radial gap in one of the joints. I'm using a rigid Dynamics Transient. I wanna obtain the stress of the follower so I made a condensed part with it. I prepare the simulation, add a little movement of 10 degrees in 0.1 seconds, no force, an easy essay. But it returns the error shown in the title. I can do it adding contacts in a Transient, but it takes 5 hours to resolve the contact, so I try this option to add some speed.

Current Time: 0.0001732 s Current time step 1.17452e-06 s

Radial Gap Stop on Joint Radial Gap - Multiple To Prensa\prensa2 is open. Current Radii 0.000680701 0.0012995 Bound 120.05

Error : state inconsistency, no relevant contact point for an active/impacting contact pair. Try reducing the time step

State Inconsistency for the contact: Shock detected without contact point

State inconsistency at time 1.731665e-04. The solution has been restarted.

I try to reduce time steps minimun to 1e-10 but it crashed. Don't know what to do.

Answers

• Also appear this:

Current Time: 0.000173 s Current time step 2.40422e-06 s

Radial Gap Stop on Joint Radial Gap - Multiple To Prensa\prensa2 is open. Current Radii 1.75442e-09 0.000873881 Bound 120.05

Inconsistency Inactive Penetrated

State inconsistency at time 1.730103e-04. The solution has been restarted.

• @MOrdiz

The normal approach takes 5 hours. You tried and failed to make a shortcut. Use the 5 hour method.

• @peteroznewman

First thank for your reply,

The problem is that I need a faster model for iterative application.

The main problem is that I don't need to know about the contact, I only need to know how the impact affects the stresses of the structure.

That's why I want to eliminate the contact analysis to only obtain the stress result.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited November 2020

@MOrdiz

The impact forces are computed by the contact algorithm. If you know what the impact forces are, you don't need contact.

In some simple impact conditions, such as a rigid body impacting a flexible body with a known velocity (such as a drop test), I can replace contact with the peak elastic deformation calculated based on conservation of energy principles. Kinetic Energy = 1/2*M*V^2 = Strain Energy = 1/2*K*X^2. Push on the impact point in Static Structural to compute K, then solve for X, which is the peak deformation to absorb all the Kinetic Energy. You can look at the stress in a Static Structural analysis when it is deformed by X.