How do I set-up heat transfer between a stationary fluid and a moving fluid in a copper tube.

This is assuming the hot fluid is heated outside ambient temperature - enough to raise the temperatures of both fluids. I am asking because I am trying to run a simulation with the same set-up, just simplified a bit; but this is the heart of the issue.

In the simulation, interfaces between the hot fluid, copper tube, and cold fluid are connected via mapped interface. The results extracted from the walls of the copper tube showed that it was being heated at least 120 Kelvins above ambient temperature. However, the walls of the cold fluid itself was not being heated. This was the case for both a pressure-based and density based simulation (where the density based simulation had g_e, and STP operating conditions). I want to know why that is so, if that is what I should expect, and, if not, how to change that.

Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

Answers

• Mr. Rob, I have created two fluids one is air and other is Licl solution. Both of them are stacked to each other having same dimensions. I want to insert a membrane (PVDF Solid) between two. For this I made a geometry in Design moudular,then in meshing option I deleted the Automatic contact zones and name manually (like Airinterface , Licl interface, inlte and outlet etc). In set up option, I used the mesh interface option, by using air_interface and licl_interface zone i make a coupled wall and named it a membrane and has given a thickness. Now in post processing option, I want to see the heat transfer on membrane, the message is, Zone surface cannot create from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface.

I want to observe the effect on wall ( which is termed as membrane).

Please let me know that I have been something wrong? What i have to do for observing the effect on membrane.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

If you'd just labelled the surface between the two fluid zones as a wall you'd have been able to display it and give it a thickness in the solver (it'd come through as wall and wall:shadow). As the geometry is zero thickness (we cheat and can give it a thickness for heat transfer) you can report numerical values but images are more limited: it's a 2d surface.

• For having a better understanding for me, I got you are saying that I have to manually name the contacts in the mesh option as a wall? If i use naming the contact region at meshing option (after deign modular) shadow not formed but trg contact region like these terms. I have been waiting for your kind answer and thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards,

Abbas

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator

If you use share topology there should be no contact region. You can then label the surface as a wall.

• Thanks a lot for your response. In the continuation, I used Merger & contact under share topology options in Design Modular, the error I am facing is attached. Please help me out. I am really sorry if mu question disturbs you.

Regards,

Abbas