Force-strain diagram engineering data

stevenlana13stevenlana13 Member Posts: 15

Hello. Does anyone have an idea how to input the force-strain diagram of a material on Ansys Engineering Data? All I can see are stress and strain inputs. Below is the graph where I will extract the material properties of the material I am observing using Ansys. I cant input stress values because the material doesn't have a constant cross-sectional area. So I can only input the force values and its corresponding strains. Please help. Thank you.

I'm using static structural If this matters.

Answers

• stevenlana13stevenlana13 Member Posts: 15

@peteroznewman hi bud. do you have any idea how to do this? thank you

• stevenlana13stevenlana13 Member Posts: 15

@Kai hi bud. do you have any tips to do this?

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,054

@stevenlana13

You say that "the material doesn't have a constant cross-sectional area".

I would say that you are describing a part, not a material. Parts can have varying cross-sectional area.

Suppose that part was removed from the assembly and put into a tensile testing machine and Force-Displacement data was taken for that part.

Since there is only tensile testing data, is it the case that only axial forces go through that part?

If I wanted to analyze the response of the assembly, but I didn't have material properties for that part that only carries axial forces, but I had the tensile test data for that part, I could remove that part from the model and replace it with a spring.

There is a spring element COMBIN39 that can have the properties measured in the tensile test.

COMBIN39 (ansys.com)