Maxwell: Total Loss in Induction Motor and Fluent Coupling

Hello all,

My question has two parts. I am trying to simulate the losses in an induction motor in Maxwell 2D transient simulation.

1. I am getting the core loss and the ohmic losses. But when I calculate the total loss using the calculator, it is always zero. I am attaching the file below. Can anyone suggest where I am doing it wrong?

2. I further need to couple this with Fluent to get the temperature distribution. Can I generate a 3D model in Maxwell from Rmxprt and save the model as a CAD file and import it to Fluent and run the simulation? My Maxwell simulation will be 2D transient while the Fluent one will be 3D steady state. Will this work? 

Also, I would really appreciate if you can let me know of any good tutorials or a step-by-step guide for the same.

I am pretty new to both induction motors and Ansys.

Thank you

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited August 2018

Re Q2 it may be easier to use 3d in both instances: that way you can pick up the coil effects. Both codes are able to model sectors so you won't need the full geometry. 

If you talk to your University ASC they'll be able to have a look on the ANSYS Portal, and there may be more information on there. If not they're also able to log a support request. As staff we can't look at models on here, but my EM counterparts can once it's logged via the (paid for) support system as it's no longer in the public domain. 

As you're starting out I'd suggest looking at the two codes separately to learn and then try to couple them together. 

• edited August 2018

Thank you for your reply rwoolhou.. Simulating 3D transient in Maxwell even for 1/8th of the model is taking a lot of time on an i7 processor and 16GB RAM machine. However, I will try running it on our university computer cluster once. 

I will try contacting my University ASC, but the process is too lengty and I don't think it can be resolved within the timeframe I have. 

Thank you again for your reply!

Have a nice day.

Re Q2 it may be easier to use 3d in both instances: that way you can pick up the coil effects. Both codes are able to model sectors so you won't need the full geometry. 

If you talk to your University ASC they'll be able to have a look on the ANSYS Portal, and there may be more information on there. If not they're also able to log a support request. As staff we can't look at models on here, but my EM counterparts can once it's logged via the (paid for) support system as it's no longer in the public domain. 

As you're starting out I'd suggest looking at the two codes separately to learn and then try to couple them together.